Unsteady Ground - Chapter 41

Recap

"Before we do that, ar-are you guys mad at me?" Jonathan asks in a soft voice.

"No!" We all speak at the same time. We all burst out laughing.

"Okay enough talking, we made a bunch of muffins" I say to the boys. Liam's phone starts to ring.

"It's my mom, I have to take this." Liam says with a big grin before he steps outside.

"Did you eat yesterday?" Lois asks Jon.

"Oh come on! Not you too. There's only so much hovering I can take. Either dad is the hoverer or you are mom!" He said dramatically.

"Is that even a word?" Jordan chimes in. We all start laughing but we stop when Liam walks back in we all stop. He looks really pale and like he's about to throw up.

"What's wrong?" I ask him while walking towards him.

"My mom... she's dead."

****************************************************************************

 Clark's POV

"What do you mean?" I ask in disbelief.

"S-She's de-dead. That was Metropolis Hospital. Th-They said she was in a car accident... She didn't make it to the hospital." Liam said before collapsing to the ground. Jordan and I used our speed to try to catch him but I got to him first. I caught him and I carefully helped him to the couch before sitting him down slowly. I leaned in front of him and he gripped my arm tightly.

"Wh-what am I going to do?! How couldn't I save her-" He started but I interrupted him.

"Don't start blaming yourself for this. Metropolis is more than 100 miles from Smallville. You wouldn't have been able to distinguish a car crash like that unless you were listening." He starts crying but I just wipe his tears with the pads of my thumbs. I bring him into a tight hug.

"Where am I supposed to live now? T-There goi-ng to put m-me in foster care!" Liam yells before burying his head in his hands.

"None of that is happening, you're staying with us." Lois says firmly before leaving the room to call social services.

"I have no family left-"

"You have us." The boys say before both hugging him.

**********************************************************************

Jonathan's POV

It's been about two hours since we heard the noise and dad barely got Liam to fall asleep. Mom's been talking to lawyers and social services about custody. I walk out of the guest room- or well Liam's new room and I make my way downstairs.

"I'll be waiting for the papers tomorrow then. Okay, thank you. Bye." Mom says from the phone. I walk into the kitchen and she looks at me with a small smile.

"Were you listening?" She asks.

"No, I-I'm not using my powers until further notice. I just-... I need some time."

"Can you even do that honey?" She asked tenderly.

"Yeah, it just takes a lot of my energy away. It's like I'm going against my natural instincts."

"Is that healthy to do Jon?"

"I'm fine mom I promise. How are things going with getting custody of Liam?" I asked before getting a soda from the fridge.

"We're getting custody of Liam. Liam's mom was an only child and so is his dad. Since there's no other family that can take Liam, he gets to stay here with us. I know this might be a horrible thing to say but I'm kind of relieved that nobody can take Liam away from us." Mom confesses.