Earthquake? - Chapter 42

Recap:

"So what happens now?" Liam asks, looking at me and Lois. Jon and Jordan give Liam a supportive glance which Liam seems appreciative of.

"Well I called social services and they're giving us custody of you?" Lois informed.

"Are you guys adopting me now?"

"As of now we're fostering you. Clark and I can adopt you and we are more than happy to do so, but only if you're comfortable with it and it doesn't have to be anytime soon if you're not ready." Lois cleared up. Liam just nodded processing the information.

"What happens to all of our things?"

"We can go tomorrow to the house and go through the things. We'll bring everything you want to keep here, and the rest we'll put in the barn. Your mom set up a will and you'll have access to everything she left you when you turn 18."

"What about a funeral? I-I don't know how to plan one." Liam starts to get riled up again but I place a hand on his shoulder to ground him. From the corner of my eyes I see Jordan do something similar to Jonathan.

"It's okay Lois and I will take care of everything and you can change anything that you want with the arrangements."

"Okay." Liam says, and for the first time today he seems like he can breathe properly.

*************************************************************************************** 

****** 3 weeks later******

Nobody's Pov

It's been three weeks since the news about Liam's mom, and two since the funeral. Liam refused to leave the house until about a week after the funeral. After having a few heart to hearts with Lois and Clark he seemed to be on the right path to healing.

After the funeral Liam seemed to get the closure he needed. He was angry that one person could blow up his world like this but he wanted to be better. He had to, for his mom. She spent years as a nurse trying to help as many people as she could. So he would do it too. Liam stopped pushing everybody away and instead started to lean on them. It's not perfect yet, but after some time it will be.

Clark and Lois had been extremely busy. They spent a whole week trying to get all the preparations for the funeral together. It had been a hard painful process but they were able to get through it. Clark spent the week after going through Athena's things with Liam. Clark and Liam could have used their powers to just move everything into the barn but Clark wanted Liam to be able to say goodbye and make peace. It had worked, Liam felt lighter after that, He had found a locket of the two of them and it helped to remind him that she was always with him. Clark was trying his best to help Liam. He knew how hard it was to lose all your blood relatives.

Lois was working to get all the papers of the guardianship together. Although social services gave them custody of Liam the day Athena died, Lois still had to file paperwork to the court. It had been an exhausting task having to drive back and forth between Smallville and Metropolis but she would do it over and over again if it meant keeping Liam with them. Lois and Clark had tried to do their best to make everyone feel stable and safe.

They had continued to keep some normalcy by having family nights every Friday and having family meals together. Jordan had never been too good with emotions, it was always Jon who knew exactly what to say. Jordan tried to be there for his brothers but he felt like he was just making things worse. He started to feel kind of suffocated. It was like a cloud was following his family. He could tell Liam was hurting but was trying to put a brave front, and his parents were stressed. Jonathan had been spending most of his time outside on the tire swing. He could tell something was wrong but every time he tried to talk to him about it Jonathan brushed him off and it always ended in an awkward silence. Eventually, once Liam started to get better he began to hang out with Sarah more. She was like the sun peaking through a gray sky. She helped ground him. Made him feel more in control.