Chapter 1: Betrothed

Words to know

~ 𑁍 ~

Age: 14

"Samina!! Come down your Baba and I have to talk about something with you!" Ammi yelled from downstairs.

I groaned, 'what now?' I folded up the prayer mat, grateful that I was able to finish Asr namaz before I was called downstairs. This is most likely going to take a while.

My name is Samina Hadid and I'm a part of the Hadid Mafia, we are one of the most respected groups in all of Pakistan and some of India (though I have no idea how that happened). I don't associate myself with them because they sell drugs and alcohol as well as kill people for fun, well they say that it's fine because technically they're not the ones doing it, but that doesn't change anything because they're still the ones who give the order to do the Haram things that they do.

I've been trained to go through about any type of torture, pain (physical and emotional), how to defend myself in almost any situation that endangers me, and last but not least how to use any weapon. The last one was a bit unnecessary because I only use one weapon, and that's my bow and arrow.

I've been learning how to make my weaponry on my own and it's actually been coming out very well. Why do I use weapons if I don't associate myself with my family's affairs?

Well, I'm good on the Internet. Surprise I know being locked up in your room almost all day and only being able to go out at night when everyone's asleep does that to you. I've been finding bad people and tracking them down in hopes that one day I'll be able to get revenge for all the pain and suffering they put children and vulnerable women and men through.

"Samina!!" Ammi calls again. Crap! I got too caught up in my stupid daydreams and stopped in the middle of the stairway.

Quickly, I sprinted down the stairs and huffed when I finally made it to see my parents, "Asalamalacom Samina," Ammi greeted me, "you're always up in your room, you need to start coming down here from time to time, start spending time with us."

I didn't open my mouth, knowing that if I did then I would just tell them they never want me down so I never came, I would most likely have been disciplined for saying such so I just keep my mouth shut... which is a struggle for me.

They shift awkwardly in their seats on the couch and give me tight smiles, I feel like whatever's about to be said is definitely going to be something I don't want to hear. I'm tempted to just walk out, right before I take a step out Baba says, "Samina you're probably going want to sit down for this."

"No I can handle it, Baba, just tell me." Ya! Who died this time?!

Baba stutters, "Well, you see- I- no not I, we have decided, well technically they just told us and we agreed to what they said because usually, you don't want to be asked..." Baba rambles and I stop him.

"Baba? Are you okay?" I cut him off, and wonder what the big deal is, "do I need to call the doctor?"

"You're engaged!" Ammi bursts out excited to spill the news, unlike Baba.

Confusion washes over me, "Kya? Ammi what are you talking about?" I question, looking around to see If anyone else has heard what I have.

She clapped her hands as if this was the most exciting thing ever to be said, "The Hafeez family has called and they needed a wife for their eldest son since you are the first woman in line and since we have had past quarrels with their mafia, I've decided say yes for you! It can't be that big of a deal, we just needed to set our place with their mafia to keep running ours. I'm sure you'll understand in time, if not now."

My mouth is dry, I can't form words, I can't comprehend what Ammi just said to me... why would she- what would give her the idea to even consider saying yes?! What have I done to ever make her think I wanted to get engaged??

I shake my head, "I don't understand... why?" I ask desperately wanting to know what could've been the reason.

Ammi was about to speak up when Baba cut her off, "Samina we didn't want to do this, but really there was no other option," he splayed his hands in front of himself trying to make me understand. I looked over at Ammi to see that she was making a face at Baba... 'you may not have wanted this but Ammi sure does.'

I need time... I need time to think and- I just need time.

"May I be excused?" I ask my voice hard.

Ammi nods, "Yes you may."

I speed walk to the stairs and run halfway up when I hear Baba say, "Samina?"

I stop abruptly, "ghe Baba?"

He walks up to the stairway, "I did not want this for you, I wanted a calm and Normal life for you, but your Ammi was the one who said yes, I swear, I had no part in saying yes," he tries to explain.

I shake my head, "but you never said no."

He opens his mouth but when nothing comes out, he shakes his head, " I love you Samina, I do."

"Jizakallah Khair Baba, I'm glad you do." I shouldn't have said that... I need to calm down, he's just trying to get me to understand. But ya! I can't! How am I supposed to understand this?!

I turn and leave my Baba standing there speechless, while a lump forms in my throat. I try to swallow it but... I can't.

I was prepared for everything... everything but this. I grab my phone and called the only person I can think about calling right now. Katia Romanov.

We met when I got sent to boarding school in Russia. My parents thought I could learn a new language and also learn a new lifestyle. The only thing I liked about boarding school was Katia. She made everything so much better and she quite literally just matched my energy... I love her, and right now? She's the only person I can talk to.

I climb on the roof to get some privacy, it's easier to get there since I'm already in the highest room of the house. I hoist myself up with a grunt and let the phone ring as I settle myself on the rooftop.

"Hello? Samina? What's going on?" She questions because when I call her, usually there's a reason or else I text her ... and there definitely is a reason now.

"Kat-," my voice breaks, and I take a deep breath, "Katia, my...um, parents they did it... they betrothed me to another Mafia-," I can't speak anymore. I can't even imagine what is going to happen now.

"Oh my God," her accent is even more prominent than usual, "it's starting Samina."

"I know," I begin to cry, "I know."

We had only thought of the possibility of this happening to me a couple of months ago in boarding school, but when winter break came we were afraid of it happening soon. Since my parents would always talk in private about me getting engaged, yet I never took it seriously...

I end the call with tears still running down my face as the chill of the winter breeze makes me shiver and wipe them away. I throw my phone on my bed through the window and jump in after the sun slowly begins to fall.

I lay on the prayer mat after Maghrib prayer and cry to Allah... I cry for my future, I cry for my confusion, I cry for everything and ask Allah for guidance... everything has a reason, and everything bad always comes with something good. Maybe it will be days from now, maybe weeks, maybe months, or even years but one day...

~ 𑁍 ~

A/n: Hello everyone, this is my first time being bold enough to even post a story with characters and a plot of my own. So I hope you like it! The next chapter will be out in no time! Leave comments and vote if you like the chapters! <3