Chapter 30: Sisters

3 weeks later

I fidget with my hijab as I stand to the side of the doorway. It's been three weeks since my attack, and we have finally come home.

My injuries have somewhat healed. The bruising on my ribs still need a week or two to completely heal, which means my breathing is still shallow. Great.

The stitches in my head are still intact and waiting to be removed. The doctor informed me it would take about one more week, so here I am. Waiting for my body to heal (annoyingly so).

Today, my sister-in-law will be visiting. I'm excited- and nervous at the same time.

Her husband is one of Azim's most trusted workers. It scares me that she might judge me, or dislike me, or I may dislike her.

I groan and rub my hands down my face in frustration. My worrisome thoughts are most definitely not helping.

A warm embrace wraps around my waist, and nuzzles my neck, "Ya Habibti, what's bothering you?" He places a kiss on my cheek and rests his head atop my shoulder.

I groan even louder, "Do I really look that bad right now?"

He looks up like he's in deep thought, "Let's see, you're pacing in front of the door," he begins to list off, "You're mumbling to yourself, every now and then you scrunch up that cute face of yours, and you keep pulling at your hijab-"

My face begins to heat as I pull out of his hold and smack my hand on his mouth to stop him, "Okay! Okay I get it. I look miserable. No need to rub it in," I roll my eyes.

He chuckles and pulls me back in, circling his arm around my waist, "I love it when you're flustered," I hide my face in his shirt so he doesn't see the flush rising to my face.

I raise a hand to plant against his face, "Stop it, this is  torture." He smiles against my palm and pulls it away.

"Get used to it Habibti this is your life now," he plants a kiss on my forehead, and as soon as he does, we hear two voices bickering just outside the door.

"She's here!" I yank myself out of Azim's hold and fix my composure. It's not like we were doing anything wrong, I just want her to have a good first impression of me. At least, that's what I tell myself.

The bickering grows louder as they draw closer, the voices sound familiar. Too familiar.

A hand is slammed against the door, and there's a pause. I turn my head towards Azim quizzically. He's tense, his large hand rests near his gun holster.

He walks towards the door slowly, and checks the peekhole in the door and relaxes instantly. "That's her alright." He laughs and throws the door open.

What was that all about? I shrug. Oh well, I guess it's better now than never. I brace myself to see my sister-in-law, but someone else stands there.

My sister-in-law is hidden in front of Azim's tall, muscular build, and usually I would like his body, but now? I'm annoyed.

Azim stands in the doorway, and shakes Ali's hand and pats his back in a brotherly manner. I stand in anticipation waiting for Azim to move his huge body out of the way.

He takes too long, so, I take matters into my own hands. I stomp my way towards Azim in frustration, "Azim, you really need to move, this is no way to treat-"

I stop in my tracks. No. Freaking. Way. I blink a couple of times, just to make sure I'm seeing this right. Then, as I am not one to be discrete or quiet, I gasp.

"AYESHA?!"