Chapter 24: Befriended

Samina
What the Hell is his problem?! I fall back into the bed and shut my eyes hard, praying that this is all a dream and I'm back home in my bed. Clearly, it doesn't work.

I can still feel the whisper of his kiss lingering on my cheek, and it does something to me. Hastily, I rub my hand on my cheek, hard. It does nothing to get rid of that feeling, except make my skin very pink. Ugh.

This feeling is foreign to my body, and I don't like it. I've shielded my heart for this long, I hate him!

I think...

I will not let Azim ruin that for me.

I need to go back and talk to him.
No, you don't. This bed is perfectly comfortable.
You're right- No! I need to talk to Katia!
I've officially gone insane. I'm talking to myself.
Great observation. If only you could use that wit to look him in the eyes. He has such a handsome face.
OH MY GOSH, SHUT UP!

I shake my head for good measure, take a deep breath and sit up. I look at the I.V. attached to my arm and glare at it. Gosh, I hate needles. I need to get out of this bed though.

Once I've slowly, taken the tape off, I shut my eyes tight and yank the I.V. out. Pain sparks in my arm for a split second before it's gone. I release the breath I'd been holding and look at the blood that drips down my arm.

I understand that I shouldn't ignore that- but... I have a more pressing matter to take care of.

I take the hijab from the stand next to the bed and put it on. I walk to the door, then stop when I hear a low growl begin from outside. I listen carefully and realize the growling doesn't stop, it just gets louder. There is no way.

I walk closer to the door and, very slowly, pull it open. There he stands, no chains, no one to keep him away, no one to stop him from eating me here and now. Laith.

~❀~

I stare at Laith through the crack in the door as if it'll do anything to stop him. My fear of animals never really had a tragic backstory, I've been afraid my whole life. I've run away from dogs many times, and many times they've chased me, probably wondering why I'm not playing with them.

It's also not quite in my favor when I would stay at Katia's house, as a teenager, and her brothers, each, owned a Great Dane, Doberman, or a German Shepard. It's safe to say that I rarely walked the halls of her house. Always sneaking in through the window of her room -though her brothers knew so it was never actually sneaking in or just going to her place when the dogs were all in their cages.

I don't understand where exactly this fear of animals came from, but this tiger is in no way helping. But I have to get out of this room. Taking a shaky breath, I begin to slowly open the door.

Laith growls low and stalks closer to the door, ever so slowly. Gently, I put my hand out and wince as Laith puts his mouth up to it- then lowers it to sniff at my hand. He lets out a softer growl this time and lifts his head from my hand, taking a closer step towards me he begins to circle me. He seems calmer.

I reach my hand out to place atop his head, he closes his eyes and rests his head on my hip. Oh thank goodness, I sigh and begin to breathe again.

A dog is one thing, but getting a tiger not to eat you? That's a COMPLETELY different situation. In my opinion, I believe I handled it pretty well.

I look around and see that no one else is guarding the area, so I begin walking slowly with one hand still on Laith as he follows me around.

"Samina!"

I whirl around to see Azim looking at me with fury in his eyes as he raises a brow, "I was under the impression that I told you not to leave your room." Laith growls at him from my side and Azim looks at the tiger in shock, "I don't believe it- and I thought you were scared of him!"

I look at him and shrug, "Technically you never said not to leave my room. Actually- I don't recall you ever giving me any sort of order to say in my room today," he smirks at my attitude, and I add, "I'm still scared of him. But as long as he doesn't lick, bite, or claw at me," I pet Laiths fur, " I should be fine."

I look up and my confidence simmers deeper than the Pacific when I see that he is now standing right in front of me.