Chapter 5: The Aftermath

My hands shake as I get out of the car. The anger and despair of all those women and children suffocate me. The weight of their lives hold me down. If only I had found out sooner.

Everything I was going to worry about is temporarily forgotten and my mind focuses on the girls... the girls I could have saved if I knew a little while back.

Tears begin to flow down my face, and my grip tightens on the steering wheel. My eyes begin to blur to the point where I can't see much of the road and I start to swerve. I reach Katia's house shakily and speed into the garage and park the car.

I drop my head to the steering wheel and let out a scream of despair. My lungs become heavy when I hear the door to Katia's house open. My head jerks up to see a concerned look on Katia's face. When I see her I rush out of the car and she opens her arms to comfort me.

"That bad huh?" I nod as tears flow down my face. She rubs my back and leads me inside and we sit on her couch as she listens to everything that happened to those women and children and how guilty I feel for not knowing sooner.

"I understand but you can't blame yourself for what happened to them, you didn't know Samina. How are you supposed to do something if you have no idea of what's going on," she sighs, "you would be telling me the exact same thing now if I was in your place." I don't reply because, I know she's right.

"Thank you," I tell her.

"For what? Being there when you need me? Samina, I will always be there when you need me. Never thank someone for being a decent human being and doing the bare minimum, you told me that yourself."

I sigh and lay my head in her lap as she plays with my hair, "You know me too well."

~❀~

A/n: Salam beautiful people! This is honestly just a short chapter to show the bond between Katia and Samina and also to show Samina's inner conflict with herself.

Also because Ik someone out there is thinking ab the hair thing... yes hijabi's can take their hijab off when their in a room with only females and also with their immediate family. She also doesn't have to dress as modestly but that's for another time. If you have any more questions then kindly use google ♥️