Chapter 22: Calming

Samina
My head throbs with pain and my eyes feel too heavy to open. The ground underneath me is soft, and I groan at the pain coursing through my body.

Everything that's happened comes rushing back to me and I squeeze my eyes at the headache it brings. The attack, the ugly man... the clank of metal against my head... my screams as the world faded away. I press my hands to my eyes and try to stop the tears from falling.

It doesn't work. My sobs fill the space around me. I'll be dead soon anyways... they'll be back, and here I am. Unable to leave, because I have no one and they have it all. If I knew it all then... would I have agreed to this?

A beeping sound that was once faded in the background of my thoughts begins to grow louder and more frantic. Making the pounding in my head increase. I slam my palms onto my ears as I continue to sob.

What happens next all feels like a dream, but I'm being told it's real.

Azim is here hugging me close. Hands on my face whispering to me that I'm okay, "I'm sorry." He says.

Why is he sorry?

"I'm so sorry Ruhi."

He holds me close as my sobs quiet down. He doesn't let me go. It's not a bad feeling. Having someone here for me? Having someone care? It's not a bad feeling at all.

We sit there on the bed, for what feels like hours. He offers me water and I drink it. I feel lost in my thoughts.

No amount of torture- physical or emotional, from my parents, could keep me from this. From experiencing something like this.

I pull myself away from his comforting hold and take a deep breath in. That won't stop me from trying to find and kill the people who did this though.

That is, I raise an eyebrow at my husband- if he hasn't done it first.