Chapter 1

TWO AND A HALF YEARS LATER (4 years since the events of Chapter 23 of Devil in Disguise, 2.5 years after the end of the prologue).

Selena Arabella Calos

I try to calm down. Marriages are happy things, not things to make you anxious. Nothing changes after you get married. You remain the same person. It's fine. Marriage is not the end of the world. In fact, your wedding day is one of the happiest days of your life.

God, who am I lying to? Most marriages I have seen have been hell- at least for one person involved. And that person is usually the woman.

"Marriage changes everything!" Gigi announces as she walks into the room, and my heartbeat quickens.

Oh my God. Oh my God. She is right. Marriage is the end of the world.

"I'm marrying my best friend, Gigi," Abigail snaps in frustration. "So even if marriage changes everything, those changes will be good."

I glance at my cousin and take a deep breath. I should be concentrating on her today instead of worrying about my impending nuptials, but it is hard because I was dumb enough to agree to marry a man without even knowing his name.

When I signed the contract, I did not care who I was getting engaged to; at least, that is what I tell myself now. Back then, I was at a place in my life where I did not really care about love. It was a few days after I broke up with Alex- and I realised that maybe I should not make decisions about my love life. I did ask my father about my fiancé almost a year ago because my curiosity was killing me, but my father told me that my fiancé did not want to share his name anymore... and that was the moment I realised that there was a high probability that I was marrying a psychopath.

Lord help me- I really screwed myself over.

And I don't think I can get out of this engagement anymore- because even though I did not read the entire contract thoroughly, I know there was something about a severe penalty in case of breach of contract.

"Then why is your maid of honour starting to panic?" Gigi asks Abigail. Everyone in the room turns to look at me, and I groan. My family never misses a chance to embarrass me.

"I am not panicking because of thoughts of getting married," I lie without missing a beat. "I am panicking because I just want to make sure this day goes perfectly."

The lie is enough to satisfy everyone in the room. Well, everyone except for my two best friends, that is.

"Smooth," Nat comments under her breath.

I narrow my eyes at her. "Shut up."

"Rude."

"Nat-"

"Stop fighting!" Abigail whines and then looks at me. "Are you sure that is the reason, Selena? Because I know you have been worried about-"

"This is your day, Abby. I don't want to talk about myself," I cut her off before she has a chance to bring up my engagement, and she sighs.

"Fine," she mutters, resigned, then looks at her phone. "I have to tell you something, though."

I smirk. "If you are going to tell me you are pregnant, I-"

"He's here, Selena."

My smile drops immediately, and I inhale sharply, looking at her wide-eyed. Why, oh, why is he here? This is my cousin's wedding. Not only that but it's two of my best friends' wedding. Daniel does not know Blake or Abigail enough to come here, and yet...