Chapter 6

Selena Arabella Calos

I don't like thinking about the past. It contains too many terrible memories that I'd rather forget. But waking up in Daniel's arms, memories of all the blissful mornings with him come flooding back.

My head rests on his bare chest, and he has an arm wrapped around my waist, his hand tracing circles on my bare stomach. I remember waking up when he came out of the shower and asking him not to leave me. I had just woken up from a nightmare, and I knew that his presence would help me calm down. The warmth of his skin and the sound of his heartbeat beneath my ear was the only thing that could ease my anxiety. I fell back asleep after he promised to stay by my side. My heart cannot help but skip a beat at the fact that he followed through with it.

I don't know how long he has been up for, but he's texting someone now. I try to resist the urge to see what he is writing even though I can easily read the messages. Not only is it a violation of his privacy, but I am afraid of what I'll read. I know who he is and the kind of life he leads, and if the messages are anything related to the Cosa Nostra, it will ruin the moment. Instead, I try to concentrate on the new tattoos running down his arm- a beautiful assortment of quotes, symbols and pictures. Eventually, though, my curiosity gets the best of me, and I glance at the screen.

What do you want me to do, Ace? The message reads.

Daniel hesitates before replying. Take them to the Cayto. I'll be there soon.

I was right. I shouldn't have looked. It brought back the memories of seeing Daniel at Cayto for the first time- the first time I saw him kill. That was the beginning of the end for us.

"How did my father agree to our marriage despite knowing who you truly are?" I ask him bitterly, unable to control myself.

"Why would he not?" Daniel retorts nonchalantly, not surprised that I'm awake.

I stay quiet for a moment, not knowing what to say. "Because you are everything a father would want his daughter to stay away from."

"I'm no worse than him."

"He isn't a part of the Mafia," I snap at him even though I should not be so defensive- I have seen my father kill before. I have seen my father do everything that comes with being a Made Man. Just because he is not initiated doesn't make him any different from any of them. Still, compared to Daniel and all he has done, my father is better... at least, I hope so.

"That does not matter. He is an associate of ours; he has done the same things I have," Daniel says calmly, voicing my thoughts. "He enjoys many benefits that come with being our associate. Now imagine the benefits he would get when his daughter is married to me- not just a don but the most powerful one in the country."

I always knew I would get married to someone dangerous. But I always thought despite my relationship with my father, he would consider what is good for me before deciding who I would marry. But now, with the knowledge that my father chose Daniel for me based solely on the benefits he would receive, I feel betrayed and unsure of what to do next. I had hoped that my father would see beyond the superficial benefits of a powerful alliance and consider whether Daniel would be a good husband to me.

"What benefits?" I ask Daniel, searching for some justification for my father's actions.

"I will tell you in time."

"When?" I press, desperation creeping into my tone.

"When I have announced to the world that you are mine," he replies smoothly.

"Why?"

"Because having information can get you killed in our world," he says matter-of-factly as he messages his assistant for his schedule.