Chapter 16

《Daniel Nicholas Castello》

Ever since I found out about them, I see the same thing every time I close my eyes. Selena and Alessi, happy and together, until I kill them both. I have no problem killing him, but when it comes to her I wake up with a start. Even at my worst, even after her betrayal, I still have a have soft spot for her. And I fucking hate her for it. More than I ever did before. 

 I run my hand through my hair in frustration and open my eyes and look around until my eyes land on her. She's sitting on the couch, a book in hand, staring at me with wide eyes. 

"What happened?" Selena asks softly. 

I ignore her as I grab my phone. The longer I am around her, the angrier I get. Especially because I still don't know what is going on between her and Alessi. 

"You looked tense in your sleep. Was it a nightmare?" She presses.

I look at her with a deathly glare but she doesn't react. "Don't interfere in what isn't your business."

She doesn't care about me. Every thing she does is to manipulate me and for so long she has been successful. But after the evidence Jax showed me of her working with Alessi, I am done with her show. I know what she really is.

She sighs. "We are engaged. It is my business."

"It's a fucking contract, not a real engagement." I say it to hurt her but she just shrugs like my words don't bother her and that pisses me of more. 

She gets up from the couch and comes to stand in front of me. "Still makes it my business."

I watch her blankly until she sighs, resigned, and turns to walk away. My heart skips a beat. She isn't supposed to give up on me so soon.

"Yes." The word is out of my mouth before I have a chance to think about it. A panic response. A desperate and pathetic attempt to keep her from leaving me. She can't leave me after what I dreamt of, otherwise I will keep on thinking about her the entire day.

I don't know what I expected her to say but she doesn't say anything. She does not ask me to talk about it or make attempts to change the topic. She simply runs a hand through my hair before kissing it.

My shoulders tense at her unexpected act of affection. Why is she pretending to care about me when she is doing God knows what with Alessi behind my back? I grip her waist, pulling her onto my lap, needing to see her eyes. Whoever said that eyes are the windows to the soul must have known her because all her lies are always swimming behind those eyes, visible for anyone who looks cafefully enough.

Her eyes are wide, startled, as I try to find the answer to my question. Why is she working with Alessi? Why us she she keeping her caring act with me when it is so evident that neither of us don't like each other much? Something changes in her eyes, and before I can process it, her lips are on mine.

I freeze, not knowing how to response. I should pull away because this is obviously some manipulation tactic. She wants to distract me so she can keep all her secrets and while I should not let her do so, I cannot resist kissing her back.  I have been holding back from this for years and now that my lips are against hers I am cursing at myself for doing so. Kissing her is intoxicating, even more so than any alcohol I have ever craved.

I slide my hand into her hair, pulling her even closer. I need her. I need this, even if it kills me. She is my worst addiction, her eyes my greatest weakness and her lips the sweetest poison.

When we pull back for air, reality hit me. She is not who she is pretending to be. She is working with Alessi behind my back. She is a traitor.