Chapter 5

Selena Arabella Calos

I don't know why he is acting so gentlemanly- for him, at least. Holding my hand when I walk down the stairs, opening doors for me- I don't want him to do all this. It will just make it easier for me to fall for him again. 

"No purple today?" He asks me as my parents' house fades away behind us.

"No, I outgrew purple," I reply quietly, continuing to look outside. I did not outgrow purple by any means- I am still wearing it under this dress, but he does not have to know that. These days, I opt for bolder colours like black and deep red that make me feel strong and empowered, rather than the pastel shades that make me feel like a weak and innocent girl. Maybe I still am that girl because I cannot let go of purple no matter how hard I try. But I try to keep that part of me hidden. 

I chose to wear an uncomfortable and revealing dress tonight, hoping to project an image of boldness and fearlessness onto my fiancé. But as we drive away from my parent's house, I can't shake off the unease that settles in. The dress is tight and has a low-cut back and a high side slit, exposing most of my thigh. If I knew that Daniel would be my fiancé, I would opt for something more modest, especially since we are going home together.

"Hmm," Daniel says, glancing at me. "There is one thing I should make very clear-"

"That I should obey your every command, should not expect you to be faithful to me even though I will not be able to be alone with another man I am not related to," I interrupt him, already knowing what he is about to say. "Oh, and I should not expect you to love me. I should also always be quiet and meek- is there anything I am missing?"

Daniel's grip on the steering wheel tightens, and he shoots me a lethal glare. "Yes," he snaps angrily. "Do not interrupt me when I am talking again."

 "Or what?"

"You should know what."

My cheeks warm up at the insinuation in his words, and I shake my head to clear my thoughts. I should be angry at him and not flustered. He probably did not even mean what I thought he did- he is not the same person he once was.

"You're going to hit me?" I ask him, my words a mere whisper because, in all honesty, I am scared of his reply.

He gives me a sharp look. "Whatever you think of me, know I will never lay a finger on you that way. Besides, there are other, more interesting ways of punishing one's wife."

This time I feel my whole body become warm at his words. "I am not your wife yet" is all I can think of to say as I cross my legs- an action that does not escape him, and a slight smirk crosses his face when I do.

"Semantics," he says dismissively, and I groan, crossing my arms together and looking out the window again. I nearly forgot how annoying it is to talk to him because he is so damn difficult. At least, that is one thing that has not changed. 

-

I blink in surprise when Daniel pulls into the parking lot of my apartment building, realising that I did not even tell him where I lived and he somehow knew. 

I narrow my eyes at him. "How do you know where I live?"

He shrugs, looking as impassive as ever. "A man should know everything about his betrothed."

Oh my God. I was right the other day. I am really marrying a psycho!

I groan in frustration at him, acting like his behaviour is normal, as I get out of the car and slam the door shut. 

"Behave," Daniel says, his voice cool, with the hint of a threat. I storm off towards the elevator, not in the mood for his attitude. 

I feel his eyes on me as I enter the elevator and walk to the wall furthest from the doors. I turn around, lean against the wall, and start digging through my clutch for the key. I live in the penthouse, and the elevator doors directly open into it, so a key and a pin are required to get there.