Anything For You

Alara

It is always on the days that feel the most ordinary that the worst things happen. It's as though life lulls you into a false sense of security just to pull the world from beneath your feet and today was just one of those days. 

I could sense it even before I opened the door there was tension in the air a thick gloss of something so tangible that I felt it suffocating me. It was far too quiet for this time of day, a sombre silence strangling the life out of our house. 

Hesitantly, I pushed my key in the door preparing myself for the worst. There was no one in the foyer, "Hey guys, you can stop hiding now," I tried to joke as though that would make the bad omens go away but it was too much wistful thinking. 

"Dad? Ma? Theo? Where is everyone?"

All I could hear was the clatter of my footsteps behind me and the brush of my bag against my arm other than that there was complete and utter silence. It was when I entered the living room I knew something was wrong.

In the corner in one of the armchairs Ma was huddled up tears streaming down her eyes as she sobbed into her hands, her mascara was leaving trails of black down her face and leaving a new path for even more tears to follow. Out of instinct I rushed to her, wrapping my arms around her and pulling her close, "Ma it's alright it's all going to be alright," I reassured her despite not knowing what had caused this onslaught of sadness. 

Still holding her close, I turned to my brother and father who both wore sombre looks, "What happened?"

At my question Ma sobbed even louder, "I won't let my baby go, not to that monster," her voice was almost shrill as she shook grasping tightly onto my hands and finally meeting my eyes. Her dark brown ones swam with tears and hurt. She lifted her hands to cup my face, "I won't let them take you away from me,"

"Take me away from you? Ma I'm not going anywhere," I tried to convince her that this was absurd. I was right here with her and as far as I was aware I wasn't going anywhere.

This caused Ma to snap at Dad, "Damon you have to tell her,"

I glanced at Father, my eyes narrowing in confusion, "Dad what is she talking about? Tell me what?"

He pressed his lips into a thin line still refusing to divulge any information. I turned to Theo my eyes desperate to understand what on earth had happened. I didn't miss the look of contempt he held towards our father.

"The bastards auctioned you off Lara," he spat the words with a venom that I hadn't heard him use since he stood up for me in front of my childhood bullies. The tone was enough to send a chill down my spine. 

"I did not auction her off," Father finally spoke his words terse and calculated as they always were. My gaze flickered between the two confusion making itself apparent on my features. 

He sighed deeply, "It was the only way to save the future of our gang. The Vipers were getting too powerful a truce needed to be made. The one they demanded was an alliance between Alara and their son Cameron."

"Exactly you just gave her away without a second thought, your only daughter just to save your precious gang, we could live without a gang but without Lara?"

His words hit deep, the love that laced them, the brother that had always put me first, it was enough to make me cry. 

Ma's eyes lifted to mine as she wiped tears away, "You can say no Lara, you don't have to do this no matter what your father says, you can run from this. Theo and I will support you," she seemed to plead with me, hoping I would take that option and part of me wanted to. 

"Alara, honey I need you to do this for us, for the betterment of the family, our gang is our everything I cannot afford to let it crumble. Will you do it, for us, for the security of your family," there was softness in his voice that he only ever used when he needed to. When his voice appeared sincere rather than the severe tone I was accustomed to. 

I took a moment to digest all that was happening and part of me wanted to run from this. Could I really do this? 

"He's a monster that Cameron Grayson the most ruthless in the gang, what will he do to my baby?"

I stood from my position cradling Ma, she looked lost as she gazed up at me. I turned to father a look of acceptance settling on my face. 

"Will this protect us, Theo and Ma will it protect them."

"Yes." was his curt response. 

"Promise me this will protect us."

I turned to Ma, already seeing her shake her head, "No, Lara, don't,"

"I promise."

I crouched down one last time in front of Ma, "I would do anything for you." I whispered and placed a chaste kiss on her forehead before turning back to father. 

"I'll do it."