Whatever's Left

Alara

As we drove back home I stared down at the gorgeous ring settled on my finger it felt alien to have something on it up until now I had never placed a ring on that finger, believing the childhood myth that you had to save that space for your fiancé or otherwise the love wouldn't be real. 

And now here I was wearing a ring from someone I knew would never love me. I stared out of the window not wanting to engage in any of the conversations my parents were having. 

Theo nudged my shoulder lightly, "It's going to be alright Lara, if he ever does anything to you, just call me and I will teach him a lesson."

I smiled softly at him, "I know you would, thanks Theo,"

Once we arrived home, the wedding planning began to ensue. The wedding would be a small function with only a selection of elite members of each respective gang being invited. I didn't have to do much as there were several wedding planners doing that for me. 

So I just curled up on my bed upstairs trying to avoid everyone, I was reading a fantasy novel to escape my tragic reality, I needed some magic in my life to make it even the least bit bearable and that was pretty much how the rest of the day went. 

I soon fell asleep with the book still resting in my hands, it tumbled off the side of the bed with a distinct thud, waking me up. I felt groggy and looked at the time it was close to 4 am and no one else would be awake. 

I felt thirsty so I crept downstairs, trying my best not to wake anyone, just because I was having trouble sleeping didn't mean I should disturb the others.

I was craving a hot chocolate and even though I knew a rush of sugar would do the opposite of making me fall asleep, I didn't really care.

I grabbed my favourite mug that had a print of lavenders running up the side and curling underneath the handle, it was a simple ceramic make but it never failed to give me comfort. 

I opened the fridge shielding my eyes from the bright light that shone out from it, my eyes had yet to adjust to the added light and it stung my pupils. When I finally schooled my eyes enough to the light, I reached for the carton of milk and unscrewed the cap splashing the milk into my mug.

I then reached for the hot chocolate powder and placed two heaping spoonfulls into my mug. I threw it into the microwave and waited patiently for it to beep.

As I was waiting I heard a crash outside of the window, immediately feeling as thought someone was watching me I grabbed one of the knives from the kitchen drawer and held it up against my side. 

I pressed my body against the alcove between the window and the kitchen and peaked through the blinds. There was a shadowy figure whose silhouette was distorted by the tempered glass. They were edging closer and closer and I began to pray that they hadn't seen me.

They were inches away from the glass and if they tilted their head just enough they would be able to see me, all they had to do was crane their neck a few degrees and I was done for. It would be too risky to move right now, my chances of being seen would go from 60% to 100%.

I was stuck with my back pressed against the smooth wall and a shaking knife at my side. My breath hitched as I spotted the unmistakeable outline of a gun. I was so done for.

I had brought a knife to a gun fight.

In a matter of seconds the gun went from hanging loosely in the intruders hand to be pointed straight at the glass. There was a spray of bullet and I ducked just as the glass shattered. Fragments of glass spilled into the kitchen as I spread all my body weight on the floor trying to avoid the spray of deadly glass.

Suddenly their were shouts and I saw Theo run towards me his own gun held up and spraying bullets some of them lodged into the wall and others when through the now disintegrated window.

I could hear myself screaming but couldn't feel my throat. Theo was sprinting towards me as the intruder burst through the window frame, they were dressed completely in black their face covered and all I could see where dark eyes, they reached to grab me, pulling me roughly by the arm. I shouted at them to let go but their vice like grip was unbreakable.

Without another thought I swung the knife at their arm, the blow wasn't very deep but it made them loosen their grip just enough for me to get out of their grasp. I swung my elbow backwards hitting them squarely in their chest, they gave a grunt of pain still reaching for me as I sprinted towards my brother, he pointed his gun towards the intruder but he was already escaping out of the shattered window. 

Theo went to rush out after him but I stopped him, pulling him close and burying my face in his chest, "Please don't go,"

He paused cradling my head as he felt my tears running down his grey t-shirt, "Ok, Lara, I won't go, you're safe now."

"They left a note," Theo whispered as he turned to the floor full of shattered glass and sure enough there was a small note. 

Scribbled in a rushed handwriting was, "We'll take her and give him back whatever's left."