Grand Ball

Cameron

The next day came far too quickly and both Alara and I were rushing to get ready. I had already put on my suit and combed back my hair, I sprayed some cologne and waited at the base of the stairs for Alara. 

Just as a precaution I had also tucked my gun into a holster concealed beneath my blazer, it never hurt to be prepared especially at an event that would be crawling with other gangs. It was unlikely that the event would go off without a hitch as many gangs already had animosity between them, although the Wolfsbane gang would take every precaution to avoid any conflict you could never be too sure. 

Finally after almost half an hour of waiting, Alara made her way down the stairs. Her dress billowed behind her dragging along the stairs and cascading down them, her make up was flawless with glittering golden eyeshadow, winged eyeliner accentuating her almond shaped eyes and a mauve lipstick that wasn't too dark but painted her lips a striking colour. 

My breath was stolen as walked closer, her makeup catching the light and making her glow even more than she usually did. I would never get over how gorgeous she looked in that dress, its high neckline making her cheekbones even more defined and the gold detailing curling over the bodice adding even more class to her outfit. 

I stretched out my arm so that she could hook her own around it, "You look magnificent," I whispered softly in her ear, to which she softy giggled. 

"You don't look too bad yourself Grayson," she quipped. 

I grinned back at her, "Back to last names now are we Miss Mortello,"

She stared deeply into my eyes with those wide doe eyes, "I guess we are."

"You ready," I said as I swung the door open. She nodded in response and we both stepped out into the cool evening air. I felt the rush of the wind against my face and it was refreshing to say the least. 

Being the gentleman that I pretended to be, I opened the passenger door for Alara, knowing it might be difficult for her to get in with so much dress spilling from her. 

"I could get used to this chivalry," she deadpanned to which I responded. 

"Don't count on it sweetheart,"

"A girl can dream," she mused lifting the lower half of her dress and gracefully entering the car. 

It didn't take us long to arrive at the ball, and thinking that because I had opened the door for her before we got here it would be only fitting if I opened it for her once more. 

Elegantly, she stepped out of the car, bunching up her skirts so that it didn't run along the floor. The Wolfsbane hall was alight with the colour of dresses and suits. There was soft classical music floating through the air and everything about the ball was the epitome of class.

I took Alara's hand in my own and we walked up the white steps to the hall. As we walked I could feel multiple eyes on us both. They were probably wondering who was with me tonight and where I had been hiding such a beauty. 

"Why does it feel like everyone's staring at me," she muttered under her breath to me, stiffening slightly under all the scrutiny. 

"It's because they are," I whispered back to her. 

"But why?" her voice was small and unsure of itself. 

"Have you seen yourself tonight? You are absolutely stunning, those looks are those of envy the men wanting to be with you and the women wanting to be you,"

"I don't know what to do with all those people staring at me," she admitted, I watched as she wrung her hands together a clear notifier of her anxiety.

I pulled her to my side, "Just breath and be you, you can't go wrong with that,"

She nodded her head, "Ok, let's just enjoy this," she spoke with a new resolve, straightening her back and walking as though she knew her worth. 

Once we entered the hall, there were glittering chandeliers and multiple flutes of champagne. In the corner was a violin quartet playing sequences of classical music.

There were many people dancing in the middle of the hall, their partners safely in their arms being twirled around in time with the music. There was a myriad of guests all donning elegant clothing befitting of a ball. There was many people I recognised who politely made small talk with me but there were other people I had never seen before. Some maybe from gangs of other nationalities, which would explain why I didn't know them as well as I did other gang members. 

Soon Owen and Kayla approached us with wide smiles, "Cameron it's so nice to see you," Kayla gushed her dark skin glowing under the light of the chandeliers. Her lips were painted a striking red which accentuated the white's of her teeth, her gown much like Alara's was floor length but it was a deep purple colour. The colour of royalty. 

"It's nice to see you too Kayla, it really had been too long," I turned to both her and Owen, "Congratulations on your anniversary as well, how long has it been now,"

"Five years," Owen responded with a certain sense of triumph. His eyes then darted towards Alara, "You must be Alara Grayson, I have heard so much about you,"

"It's still Alara Mortello at the moment," she replied, sneaking a look at me to see my reaction but my face gave nothing away, "And I hope it's all good things you've heard,"

"My apologies, I was under the impression that you and Cameron had already been married, and don't you worry they were all good things," he flashed her a smile which she returned. 

Kayla Ross stood forward and enveloped Alara into a warm hug, "It has been a pleasure to meet you Alara,"

"Thank you for inviting us, it really is a beautiful ball," her eyes wandered around the hall taking in the beauty of it all. 

After some chatter between us they became swept up in greeting other guests leaving Alara and I alone once again. 

"You're not mad at me are you," she suddenly spoke breaking the moment of silence. 

I furrowed my brow, "Why would I be mad at you?"

She did that thing where she would nervously bite her lip, "because I said I was Alara Mortello not Alara Grayson,"

I laughed taking her hands in mine, "But you are Alara Mortello, of course I'd love for you to be Alara Grayson but I would never be mad at you for saying your own name. And I won't have to wait long for you to be Mrs Grayson,"

She gave me an unamused look, "I still haven't decided whether I will take your name or not,"

I smiled at her softly, spinning her around until she was leaning against my chest and we began to sway to the soft music, "That's a discussion for later, for now I want to dance,"

I twirled her once more until on of her hands was pressed into mine held at and angle and the other resting on my shoulder, my other hand was firm against her waist as we began to waltz.

She danced effortlessly allowing me to guide her, as we moved in synch and the rest of the party melted away and for a moment it was just me and her, in each others hands getting lost in the music. Our pace began to speed up with the crescendo of the violins and piano, and soon we were dancing across the ballroom, she spun out of my arms and then back into them, her face so close to mine as she was pressed against my side for a moment her head craning up to see mine her perfect lips curved into a light smile. 

I wanted to lean down and capture them and maybe I would have if we hadn't been interrupted. 

"May I have this dance?"