Too Close

Alara

Four hours earlier

My nerves began to bubble beneath the surface as we drew closer and closer to the door that I assumed the 'boss' would be behind. Part of me thought that I should've sucked it up and just worn the stupid dress as it was intended. But the more passionate side of me told myself that I did the right thing, I wouldn't be compliant, I wouldn't show my skin if I didn't want to just for the sake of a deranged man. Damn the consequences. 

My hands became clammy but I just balled them into fists to give myself a new sense of resolve. I lifted my head a little higher, straightening my back just as we were about to enter the room. I would show him that I was unafraid to disobey. 

My guard swung the door open and ushered me in, it was an office of sorts, with sleek wooden panels and high arched windows that gave a sense of class the rest of the building lacked. There was a plush red carpet that appeared to velvet to the touch and behind the great desk forged from a mix of oak and cedar wood from the looks of it. 

The man that had threatened me a few days ago lounged in the chair behind the desk, the aura around him one of complete nonchalance. I gritted my teeth and clenched my jaw to stop myself from making any snide comments, for now.  

"Ma chérie," there was a more significant tilt to his accent that I hadn't noticed the first time he had spoken to me, probably because I was too preoccupied with thinking of how to escape.

His eyes zeroed in on the dress and hardened stare succeeding the look, "Why aren't you wearing it properly?" his voice was laced with irritation. 

I shrugged, "I'm not wearing it wrong, just not how you intended,"

He inhaled sharply as a muscle feathered in his cheek a clear signifier of his growing anger, "You are wearing it wrong."

Again I just shrugged loving the building frustration that was evident in every glare in my direction, "It's a matter of opinion."

He rose from his seat and stalked his way over to me something dangerous lighting in those so very blue eyes, "You dare disrespect me," his voice was not as loud as I expected it to me it was more a lethal murmur that screamed listen and obey. 

But I wasn't one to submit to the will of a man. 

"Oh I dare," I flashed him a smirk revelling in how easy it was to rile him up. 

He was in front of me in a moment, his hand curling around my waist and pulling me flush against him.

My reaction was instantaneous I pushed him back with as much force as I could muster, "Don't fucking touch me,"

He laughed at my reaction, once again snaking an arm around my waist, "I said-"

He cut me off, his grip tightening where the slit of the dress began, he dug his fingers into my leggings and had a sickening grin on his face, "Didn't I tell you, you belong to me and I can do whatever I want,"

I glared at him, placing my hand over his. He seemed puzzled by my reaction but it was all just a distraction. 

He tensed under my touch before taking it as an invitation to pull me closer just as I wanted to him. 

I gave him a saccharine smile, staring deeply into those so very arrogant eyes.

"What is this Ma chérie?" he whispered his ashy breath fanning my face. 

"Oh nothing," I played it off lowering my voice to barely a whisper so he had to lean in to hear me just as I wanted him to and when he was close enough I reared my head back and smashed it into his nose. 

"Fuck," he stumbled backwards clutching his nose as I saw trails of blood form beneath them .I hope it was broken. 

"You're going to pay for that you bitch," his seethed giving me a deathly stare and still hissing in pain. 

"Gladly," I even had the nerve to wink at him. 

This infuriated him even further, his rushed towards me grasping my neck and slamming my back against the nearest wall. A shot of pain ran down my spine as I gasped for air my throat closing in on itself. I clawed at his arms but that just caused him to tighten his grip, with blood streaming down his nose and a sickening look of satisfaction at my pain he looked completely and utterly unhinged. 

I kicked and tried to scream but he just pressed me further against the wall, "Fucking try anything like that again and it'll be the last thing you do," the threat was as clear as day.

He dropped me and I fell to my knees heaving for breath trying to get as much oxygen back into my lungs. My shaking hands raised to my neck which was red and raw with pain. I wanted to scream but my vocal chords had been crushed under his hands. 

He gazed at me for a singular moment before turning back to the man that had brought me here. 

"Cole, tie her up. Don't give her any food or water and take her back to the cells, I was too generous to give her a bed,"

My vision blurred as I saw Cole walk towards me, my legs were weak from being pinned to the wall, and my head spun. 

Cole hauled me up, a vice grip on my forearm and half dragged me out of the room. When we were out of earshot of his boss, he whispered to me.

"You must have a death wish, that was really fucking stupid,"

And with the last part of my energy I managed to bite out, "I try."