Final Day of Freedom

Cameron

I gripped the steering wheel tightly pressing my foot against the acceleration watching the meter rise higher and higher as my speed increased. The engine roared as I sped through the towns, no one would stop me as the police where in our pockets. I was being reckless and I knew it.

The conversation with my father replayed over and over in my head, "You will get married to the Mortello daughter."

There was no if ands or buts, it was a command I had to follow and there was no questioning father when it came down to it his word was final. I seethed as I pressed harder on the gas wanting to feel the rush of air against my skin want to come as close to death as possible and just at the last second pull myself away from the reapers hands. 

I needed that rush of adrenaline, the last day of freedom I had before I was trapped in the institute of matrimony. 

It was then my phone rang, I answered it connecting to the Bluetooth in my car, "Hey Leo what's up?" It was my second in command and best friend. 

"We have a situation at the Warehouse Cam, there were some people caught trying to steal some of our firearms,"

"And have you caught them," I asked despite knowing what the answer would be.

"Of course," Leo quipped a lilt of pride in his voice, "There just waiting for you to teach them a lesson,"

"I'll be there in ten,"

The drive to the docks didn't take long and as soon as I had parked my car, I grabbed my gun from the glove box. Tucking it into the back of my trousers I made my way to the open warehouse besides the ports and boats. 

Once I entered I saw a man bent on his knees with his arms tied behind his back. His face was already bruised and bloody he coughed violently spitting out a thick clot of blood, a line of red trickled down to the base of his throat. 

"I see you got started without me Leo," I turned to my friend who had a grin on his face.

"I couldn't help myself, I do really hate thieves."

I crouched down to be eye level with the thief and pulled my gun out, I pressed it against his throat elevating his face so he was staring straight into my eyes. 

"So you thought you could steal from me?"

He shook his head violently but didn't say a word, I grasped a clump of matted hair and pulled his head back pushing the tip of the gun harder against his throat, "Do you know what I hate more than thieves?" 

I turned to Leo who played along shrugging, "I don't know Cam you tell me,"

"Liars."

My grip tightened on the mans hair one pull away from snapping his neck, "So I'll ask you again, did you think you could steal from me,"

This time the prisoner sputtered and blubbered, crying out in pain, "Yes. Yes I thought I could steal from you I thought I could take a couple of units, sell them at a marked up price and no one would be the wiser," 

I pretended to understand his reasoning, "Oh well if no one would be the wiser then I should just let you go,"

The idiot didn't realise I was being sarcastic and began to beg, "Yes please, please just let me go, I will never do it again. You will never even see me again,"

I laughed bitterly, "Well that sounds damn near perfect to me, never having to see your snivelling face again but you see, I can't just have people thinking they can steal from me and get away with it,"

I pressed the gun closer to his adam's apple which was bobbing uncontrollably with each terrified cry. 

"Please I have a daughter," he screamed wildly in one last ditch effort to gain my mercy. I paused for a second imagining a young girl abandoned without a father. It did stir something within me, and just for a brief moment my grip loosened. 

I turned to Leo for confirmation but he was already shaking his head, "No, he's single with no wife of kids I looked into him as you always tell me to do,"

Anger flared inside of me at the audacity of the man not only to steal from me but to continue to lie to me. 

I stood removing the gun from him and for a moment he exhaled thinking I was in fact about to set him free.

"I told you I hate liars," I turned and shot him square in the forehead killing him instantly.

His body fell backwards with a distinctive thud. Without turning back to see the result of my violence I nodded to Leo.

"Get rid of the body,"

"On it boss."

As I exited the warehouse I thought to myself, What a way to spend my final day of freedom.