Anaesthesia

Alara

"So are you even going to attempt to explain anything or are me going to just sit in silence?" I posed the question to Cole who hadn't spoken for the past hour. 

He didn't even look up which I found incredibly rude. 

"Silence it is I guess," I began to play with the hem of my dress, trying to pick of the dried globs of mud, trying to salvage it in anyway possible. In the back of my mind, I knew I was doing it because this was the first real gift Cameron had gotten me and it held such good memories. It represented more than just beauty, it represented a bond that I had formed with Cameron. How unlikely was it for us to grow on each other, two people thrust into marriage that they were unprepared for and now it felt like I needed him in my life. 

It was then I heard Cole's phone ring, he immediately picked up the call and strode into the other room slamming the door behind him. 

And me being who I am as soon as he was in the other room, I rushed to the door, leaning against it to try and hear the conversation behind it. 

"Where are you? She's driving me up the fucking wall, it's like she doesn't even know the meaning of silence,"

So he hated me, good to know. 

"You better be here soon or I can't guarantee I'll be of sound mind when you get here," It was kind of satisfying to know the kind of affect I could have on him. It almost made me smile to myself had the situation not been so dire I probably would.

I heard the hang up tone and quickly sped away from the door before it was flung open. Cole narrowed his eyes at my precarious position on the edge of the couch. My face slightly red at how fast I had run away from the door. 

I just gave him the most convincing smile I could and for some reason in an awfully chirpy tone said, "Hello?"

He looked at me with puzzlement on his features, a new show of emotion he had yet to display, like he was confused at my very existence. 

Once again he chose not to respond, sitting back down on one of the dinette chairs and going back to silently scrolling through his phone. 

Not five minutes later their was a heavy bang at the door. A three rapped knock against the smooth wood. 

"Who's that?"

It was like talking to a damn wall. No response, no nothing. A slab of concrete would be a better conversation holder. 

Ignoring me, for the thousandth time Cole went to open the door, in stepped a man who I did not recognize at all. I had hoped it would be Cameron but no it was another stranger. 

His eyes immediately rested on me, and I felt my skin crawl at his unfiltered gaze. He had a brutish figure engulfing almost the whole door frame, his hair was a slicked back and greasy. 

"You never told me what a beauty she was," his eyes gleamed with something dangerous as he took in my frame. And once again I wanted to melt into the floor just to get away from the leering looks at this much older man.

"Who is that?" I asked my question being posed to no one in particular. 

"Morris, it's good of you to get here finally," Cole seemed exasperated and it was first real sign of emotion I had seen from him. Had I really worn him out that much?

"You still haven't explained what the hell is going on? Why am I here, why does everyone seem to want me, or kidnap me, I'm really nothing special." I began to rant for a moment becoming lost in my own words and frustration. 

"That's where your wrong, there is something very special about you, something you have never been told. You are the key to the Blood Diamond."

My throat became dry at the words, flashing back to what Dane had shouted out to Cameron, that he too was looking for the Blood Diamond. Images of my ruined bookshop flared in my mind and a new sense of anger thrummed through my veins.