Cold Heart

Cameron

I had never felt rage equal to that which rose in me watching that slob of a man trying to grab my Alara. 

"Touch her, and you're dead," I gritted out, my voice deadly serious. I rushed forward, grabbing the man from behind and slamming him against the nearest wall, a sickening crack resounded through the room as he connected with the hard surface. He let out a grunt of pain, trying to overpower me but there was nothing like the rage of a man who knew someone he cared about was hurt. 

He tried to weasel his way out of my grasp but my anger was insurmountable, I only stopped when I heard the distinctive click of a gun being cocked. 

"Let him go, or I'll blow her brains out," Cole Mason snarled, his thin hands clasping a gun that was aimed right at Alara's temple. 

Her gaze was muted, she looked neither afraid or relived, her eyes never leaving mine. All her concentration on me, with a melting pot of emotions unspoken in the air and an effortless sigh that dropped from her lips. 

"You won't shoot me Cole, you need me," she was calm and composed in her response. Her features schooled to be unreadable, not an ounce of fear in those honeyed eyes. 

"No, Alara, I need your body," fury raged through me at the statement, though I didn't know what he meant by that the thought of any other man doing anything at all to Alara's body made my blood boil. But more so, anything happening to Alara at all made me see red. 

"Go on then, shoot me," she turned to face him eyes wild with defiance, and against what anyone thought was going to happen. She stepped forward until the metal of the gun was pressed firmly between her eyes. 

She glared deeply into Cole's dead grey eyes, I watched as his fingers twitched around the trigger. 

"Shoot me." she repeated with resolve. 

It was then I spotted why she had stepped forward, whilst Cole was completely focused on her and the gun being pressed against her flesh, his eyes were away from her hands, her right arm, snaking behind her to grab the pistol on the counter. 

Smart. 

It was just me here, Dane and Leo had gone to scout out the rest of the forest, to see if there were any other people roaming around, and I silently prayed they would come soon. If Alara's plan didn't work. 

Then I noticed, the man in my grasp's beady eyes, dart to Alara's wavering hand, he was about to shout to Cole but I was quick to silence him pressing my hand against his mouth and slamming my knee into his back. His muffled cry of pain enough to distract Cole and make him turn, giving Alara the time she needed to grab the gun and fire. 

Without hesitation she shot Cole, she shot him in the shoulder and I knew immediately why, she didn't want to kill him, only incapacitate.

"You bitch," he spat clutching his shoulder as blood pooled out of it. 

"You're the one writhing on the floor," she snapped back still clutching onto her pistol. Cole reached for his own gun that he had dropped and Alara noticed, kicking it out of his reach. 

He glared at her but soon his eyes snapped to the doorway where Dane and Leo rushed in. 

"Fuck, I missed all the fun," Leo commented as his eyes zeroed in on Cole and his gunshot wound. 

"Remind me never to get on your bad side, Alara, you're a deadly shot," the statement brought a slight smile to her face. 

"I may be a good shot but we can't just leave him here," she glanced over at the gushing wound and without thinking too much about it bent down to be level with the wound. The look of surprise on Cole's face was the focus of everyone attention.