Chapter 27

In ten minutes, we reached the café where Mister Remzy said he was. I know this place but it was my first time here. Marami rin naman kasing mga coffee shop malapit sa University at hindi naman ako mahilig magpunta sa mga ganito kaya hindi pa ako nakakapasok.

Mabuti na lang talaga, saktong dismissal na namin at nagkita pa kami nang tumawag ito. Kung nagkataong hindi ay sayang pa ang oras. Maraming maaaring mangyari sa pagitan ng mga panahong iyon, kagaya ng naganap noong nakaraan.

I was able to take a glimpse of the interior from the glass wall. It was monochrome. Kylo opened the glass door for me, giving me the chance to wander my eyes. I wanted to examine the whole place but my gaze settled on a man's back on a table around four meters from where we are, near the air conditioner.

Napangunahan ng kuryosidad ko sa pakay ni Mister Remzy kaysa sa paligid.  For him to drive all the way from Manila, he must have something important to say or to ask.

I lifted my eyes to Kylo. He motioned the way towards the table with the use of his head. With a sigh, I nodded and marched toward him.

Mister Remzy stood to recognize our presence. A side of my mind reminisces the first time we had a talk back in Manila and what happened next was a tragedy. That is why I am quite nervous.

"I hope I didn't bother you," he said after a quick exchange of pleasantries.

"Not at all," Kylo answered for the both of us.

Mister Remzy signaled us to take a seat. Kylo pulled the first chair for me before taking a seat. Wala pang isang segundo buhat nang maupo kami ay may lumapit nang server. I find this type of service quite rare for simple cafés.

"What do you want? It's on me," Mister Remzy generously asked.

"Uh... just an Iced Coffee, Sir. Thank you." He glanced at me. "How 'bout you, Van?"

"Same as yours."

"A cup of Americano and two Iced coffees please."

The server repeated our orders before she left. I placed my intertwined fingers on top of my legs, casually waiting for Mister Remzy to say what he wants to say. Ramdam ko ang bahagyang pagpapawis ng mga palad ko kahit pa malamig sa loob.

"How are you, Sir?" ani Kylo na naunang magsalita.

He released a heavy sigh as if he were carrying a ten-ton wagon on his back. Well, he probably is.

"Not okay would be an understatement."

"Condolence," I uttered and Kylo followed.

He nodded and it rooted a tree of silence. You can see from his now bearded face and eyebags that he is not getting enough rest. His expression was also gloom, hidden in a stern facade. I heard Kylo clear his throat.

"What brought you here, Sir? How did you find us?"

"I have my ways. And I am just here to ask if you have any progress? Had you deciphered the papers already?"

"We're afraid there is no progress. No one between the two of us knows how to speak Spanish. Our theories still remain as theories. But we both think that the text Miss Bellinda wrote might be a clue that could lead us home."

Tumango ako bilang pagsang-ayon. Albeit, I admit that I still have reservations. If Miss Bellinda knows the way, why didn't she do it in the first place?

Dumb, Irvine. Maybe because she was admitted to that mental facility, perceived as a mad woman and incapable of doing anything she wanted.

"I am counting on you," Mister Remzy said firmly. "I am hoping that once you find the solution, everything will go back into place. The Bellinda I love will come home to me as if none of this happened."