Chapter 9 : The Escape

***Born to Die : Lana Del Rey**

Her heart and her stomach dropped.

"What...?" She said.

"You were brought in, with your parents about a year ago. You... You were different. But it took a lot of... "work" to obtain your abilities. I watched you every day... I came to see you at night. You couldn't talk, you just looked up at me. You always reached to grab onto my wrist. You were cuffed to your bed for a while, you couldn't reach very far... But I was always there. Next to you..." He said. She stayed silent for a bit.

"...What about my parents..?" She asked

"Still alive, somewhere." He shrugged. She was relieved.

"It isn't too late yet, but we will have to run. I'll tell you more, I was able to steal your file. I'll let you read it on your own. It's not my place to say more..." She nodded. "But first, you will need this. " He gave her the access card. "Meet me in 5 minutes. Open the door, take the stairs and go all the way to the bottom. "I'll take Twelve and Eleven with me."

"Ok...Be safe." She said

"You too." He replied. He stood up and walked towards the door. He was about to turn the doorknob, but he stopped. He turned around and looked at her for a moment. He was hesitant.

"What's wrong..?"

"Nothing. See you in five." He said. She nodded. He then left. She looked around her room, for one last time. She was going to miss this place. As much as it was boring. She couldn't comprehend why she couldn't remember spending a year in the same room. But once she was out, she assumed that she would understand. Five minutes passed and she left. She carefully slide the card and opened the door. She ran towards the staircase. The anxiety was crushing her lungs, and making her hands sweaty. She reached the basement. Everything was dark. She carefully took a few steps forward then she felt someone standing behind her.

She turned around and jumped.

"Quiet... Follow me." He said while bringing a finger to his mouth. She nodded. They walked towards an air vent, where Twelve and Eleven were sitting. He crouched down and opened the cap of the vent. He then looked at the two kids. "Now, It's going to be a bit scary in here, but this... This will lead you out beyond the lab fence to the woods." He explained. She crouched to look into the vent as well. It was very small but looked safe.

"But, you two are too big," Eleven said.

"We aren't going with you two. We are taking another exit."

"Why?"

"No questions. Now go." He replied. Eleven nodded and looked at Twelve. She started crawling first.

"It's going to be okay Twelve. " She reassured.

"See you later then" He smiled before crawling behind Eleven. She was left with him alone.

"If this doesn't work out...Keep trying to leave." He said. He looked at her, and lean in. "This place is a prison. And everyone here is a prisoner. Not just you. Not just your "brothers" and "sisters", but the guards, too, the nurses. Me." He grabbed her hand and went to touch his neck.  She could feel a small capsule under his neck. "He calls it Soteria. It weakens me. It tracks me."

"But... That means you never planned on escaping with me..." She said. She felt betrayed.

"Even with the other way out, he will find me." He said caressing the side of her face. No... She couldn't leave without him. "If he finds me it will find you." Not without him.

"What if... What if I make it go away?" She asked. His expression changed. It seemed like he had been waiting for this moment for a while."I... I can't leave without you...That wasn't what was planned... Right?" He nodded. They stood up, and he held her hands.