The Trial Of Insight

"The Trial of Skill, the Trial of Courage, the Trial of the Flesh, the Trial of Spirit, and the Trial of Insight. These are the five trials that all Jedi must face on their road to knighthood" Mace Windu spoke as he looked towards the middle of the council chamber. There stood Barriss Offee and Luminara Unduli.

"Believes your master does, that ready you are. That soon, become a full Jedi knight you will" Master Yoda added. Barrriss looked up at her master for a moment before looking back at the masters. She was barely able to contain her excitement.

"While the council will admit you have faced trials of skill and courage during your second battle on Geonosis" Plo Koon spoke, his fingers entwined.

"Actually masters, I was think that what happened with the Geonosian parasites could count for the trial of the flesh" Luminara interrupted. Barriss almost shuddered at the memory. Master Yoda nodded.

"Then there is still the trial of the spirit and the trial of insight. We cannot come up with your trial of spirit, that is for you alone to find. We can however ask for your insight" Mace Windu nodded.

"You're familiar with the kyber arch padawan?" Depa Billaba asked from her seat. Barriss nodded. The arch was a structure in one of the meditation chambers, built from the kyber crystals retrieved from the lightsabers of Jedi who had fallen in battle. Scaling and crossing the Kyber Arch was an advanced meditation technique, attempted only by those Jedi who felt called to do so by the Force.

 Scaling and crossing the Kyber Arch was an advanced meditation technique, attempted only by those Jedi who felt called to do so by the Force

Mace nodded. "Good. Then you have until tomorrow to come up with a good answer to this question. Why can no Jedi cross the kyber arch alone?" Barriss tried not to show her confusion. She had seen Jedi cross the arch alone in the past. "We will be back in this room at the same time tomorrow. If you come up with the answer then come" Barriss nodded before she and turned and left the room, sensing that was what she was meant to do.

"Meet me at the kyber arch" Barriss whispered as she began walking to said area.

Once she arrived Barriss found (y/n) already standing before the kyber arch. "What's wrong?" He asked with a worried expression. "I could sense your confusion"

"Why can't one cross the kyber arch alone?" Barriss replied as she crossed her arms and looked up at the arch.

"They can" (y/n) replied simply. "I watched master Secura do it this afternoon"

Barriss frowned. "Then the council must have meant metaphorically" she looked the arch over a couple times. "Any ideas?"

(Y/n) glanced at the mass of crystals. "You need to be the one that figures it out or there's no point in them testing you"

Barriss nodded. "Alright, fine then. I'll figure it out myself" she walked up to the arch. "What do we know about the arch?"

"It's made of crystals from the lightsabers of fallen Jedi" (y/n) replied with a shrug.

"We've been overthink this" Barriss hit her head against her hand. "It's made from the crystals of dead Jedi"

"That's what I said" (y/n) nodded.

"That's why you can't cross it alone! If not for the other Jedi who have passed we would have nothing to cross" Barriss smiled.

"So when you cross the arch you're doing it with all the Jedi who came before" (y/n) nodded. "Makes sense... we finished that much quicker than I expected"

"Me too" Barriss nodded in agreement. "I'll bring my response to the council tomorrow"

Word count: 618

(What's everyone's favorite era in Star Wars? Mine has gotta be the imperial era)