café concert

Florence

It was Friday, the day of my little concert at the café I'm working at. Although "concert" is maybe a little over the top. To play a concert you would have to have fans who are paying to see you perform. At this gig, I am just singing in a space where people are to eat and drink, while hearing some hopefully decent music.

I took a last glance at my reflection in the mirror. I was wearing a black top paired with simple black jeans. It wasn't the most creative outfit, however it was what I felt the most comfortable and myself in and that's what counts.

After throwing all of my stuff in a tote bag, I made my way downstairs and was greeted by Rachel. The blonde was laying on the couch and was looking at her phone. "Hey babe, I'm on my way outside now", I started to talk at her while coming closer to her. She didn't look up from her phone, so I towered over her and softly placed a kiss on her forehead. "You sure you don't want to come with me? It's been a while since you've seen me perform?", I smiled at her while continuing kissing down her face. She smiled against my touch but then looked at me apologetically with those cute blue eyes that always make me weak. "I'm sorry baby, but I am so tired from work. Tell me all about it later! And maybe then I can show you how sorry I am for not coming." She said the last part with an obvious grin on her face, which automatically made my face blush as well. Who can blame me. I'm a simple person, a simple gay person.

"Well then rest well my love, I will see you later", I answered and placed one last kiss on her lips, before making my way to the door. Rachel didn't look at me while I left the room but I heard her shout: "Don't let them give you any numbers!" I playfully rolled my eyes and got into my car.

At the café, I instantly went to greet my boss, Laura. She took over the place 5 years ago which was around the time I started working here. The brunette was only a few years older than me, which is why we always got along very well. Rachel always said that Laura has a crush on me, but I just told her that she has a flirty personality. She also has a husband and a 5 year old son, so there goes her theory.

"Hey Flo, ready for your performance?", Laura greeted me from far away and then goes in for a hug. "I've missed hearing you sing, you haven't done it since.. you know" I looked at her and saw her uncomfortableness. "Yeah.. since the shooting", I helped her finish the sentence. I often felt people getting awkward when talking about it. It's like they feel bad for bringing up the emotions again but at the same time, they want to see how I react to it. But I guess I can't blame them for being interested.

"I just felt like I needed to put some time into healing, before I came back to perform. Otherwise I probably would have started to cry on this stage and that wouldn't be good for the both of us", I joke and awkwardly chuckle. The brunette also laughs and then points to the stage. "Well, it's good to have you here now. The stage is ready whenever you want to."

After setting up my instruments, I took a quick glance through the crowd. On "bar nights" the tables were all put in front of the stage, so every customer would have a good view. This also meant that I had a pretty good overview of all the people that came to my gig, whether it was for me or the drinks. And not gonna lie, it felt like this time it was even more people than usually would come. However, I scanned the room for one specific pair of eyes, green eyes to be exact.

I invited Lizzie to my performance a few days ago. It was relatively spontaneous, so I wouldn't hold it against her if she couldn't make it. But in all honestly, I was looking forward to show her more of my music. A look at the clock that was hanging right over the entrance told me that it was time to start singing. People were expecting live music, so I couldn't leave them hanging.