Chapter 32 |Interrogation|

It's been a couple of weeks since my mother's funeral

It's been a couple of weeks since my mother's funeral. It's been hard but I've been managing. Dad and I talk every day just like mom and I did. He sometimes tells me funny stories from when they were younger. It has helped me a lot talking to him.

I haven't seen River a lot lately. She has her solo coming up soon and has been working hard on it. Today she had asked me to meet her at her dorm because she had a surprise for me.

I walk out of the rink and say goodbye to both coach and the guys before leaving. I was still sweaty from practice. I make a quick stop at the house to shower and get new clothes. I put on loose white pants and a black sweater with some white stripes around the collar and the bottom of the sleeves.

I run a hand through my hair as I make sure I have everything I need before grabbing my car keys and walking out of the house. I lock the door before I start to walk to my car. The drive to Rivers dorm is short.

I knock on the door and take a step back and lean back against the wall across from her door. After a minute or so the door opens. River stands there in a long white strapless dress with blue flowers on it. It fit her body perfectly. Her hair was down, letting her naturally wavy hair-free.

She looked like a goddess, I mean when doesn't she look like one. When my eyes meet hers I see a beautiful smile on her lips and I can't help but smile back at her. "Hello beautiful," I greet.

"Hi, Noah." She greets back in a soft voice. She moves back and opens the door more so that I can come in. I wait until she closes the door to place a soft kiss on her forehead.

"¡Mira lo guapo que es!" I hear a familiar voice say. I freeze as I look at River, she gives me a nervous smile. I slowly turn my head in the direction the voice came from. River's parents sit on the couch looking at us. (Look how cute he is!)

"I was going to warn you," River whispers to me when I turn to look back at her. I probably looked like I was going to shit myself because River tries so hard to hold in a laugh.

I take a deep breath before turning back to the two people in the living room. "Hi," is all I managed to say. It didn't even sound like a normal 'hi' it came out as a squeak.

I play with my fingers behind my back from nerves. I feel River slowly take my hand into hers before she moves to stand next to me. I look at her and see her give me a reassuring smile. "Mom, dad this is Noah." She says in a calm voice.

Even though we technically already met, this was our first time meeting in person. She said that they have been in Puerto Rico for the past month staying with their family. I tense a little when I see her dad get up and start to walk over to us, her mom falls soon after.

"How tall is your father?" I whisper to River. She laughs a little before informing me that he is 6'6. If I wasn't scared of him already I would be terrified of him now.

Her mom was much shorter than him. If I had to guess she was either 5'4 or 5'5. Her dad stops in front of me and lifts a hand out for me to shake. I gently take it and shake his hand. "It's nice to meet you, Noah." He says with a small smile.

I calm down a little at his smile. Her mom says something to him and gives him a little so that she can see me. She takes my face into her hands and gives me a huge smile. I tense a little when she pulls me into a hug but I soon relax.

She pulls away after River practically pulls her off of me. "Mom, how about we go make the empanadas?" River asks her mom with a soft smile.

"Sé amable con él," Her mom says as she points a finger at him before she walks to the kitchen. River gives me a soft smile before following her mom into the kitchen. (Be kind to him)

"Let's go sit," Her dad says and I nod my head, scared to speak. We walk into the living room and take a seat on the couch.

"Pourquoi dois-je être si nerveux?" I mutter to myself as I try to make my leg stop bouncing up and down. I stare down at the floor as we sit in awkward silence. (Why do I have to be so nervous?)

"Vous devriez être," River's dad says. I look up at him in shock. (You should be)

"Vous parlez français?" I ask him. All he does is nod his head at me. Before I can speak again River and her mom join us while the food is cooking. Her mom sits between me and River's dad and River sits next to me. (You speak French?)

"Can I start now?" Her dad asks her. I see her shake her head yes. I look at her confused about what they are talking about.

"Interrogation," Is all she tells me as she takes my hand into her and interlocks them. I give some sort of 'help me' look but all she does is laugh.

I see her dad get up and grab a notebook and pen from the kitchen counter before walking back and taking a seat. "Full name?" He asks me right away.

"Uh, Noah Hayes, "I say hesitantly. He nods and writes it down on the paper. I look over at River and give her a questioning look. All she does is shrug her shoulders.

"Do you play any sports?" I turn my head back to her dad and answer hockey, I watch as he writes it down.

"What do your parents do?" He asks and I tense a little at the mention of parents. It doesn't go unnoticed by him.

"My dad is a surgeon and my mom owned a bookstore," I tell him my voice is quiet when I mention my mom.

"Owned?" He asks with a raised eyebrow. River tenses and opens her mouth to speak.

"Dad," She says in a warning. She is about to speak again but I cut her off.

"My mom recently passed," I say as I let my gaze fall to the ground. When I look back up at River I see her giving her dad a soft glare. I squeeze her hand to reassure her that I'm fine.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Her dad says sincerely, I can see the guilt on his face. I tell him that he can go on with the questions and he does.

I feel another hand touch mine and I look down and see River's mom's hand on top of mine. I look up at her and she gives me a soft smile. I returned the smile to her.

"Eres perfecto para ella," I hear her mutter to herself. (You are perfect for her,)

 (You are perfect for her,)