The Choice

They stayed at the shop until Grian bought everything he could ever possibly need. Well, Grian grabbed things while Mumbo tallied the cost. He didn't mind, especially with how happy the prince seemed. However, Mumbo couldn't help but wish his talents could be used better than being Grian's personal calculator.

Now, Grian and Scar were taking their purchases out for the guard to carry, while Mumbo stayed behind in the shop.

"How much for the kittens? I tallied everything else up."

"I don't charge for the animals. And you needn't worry about everything else."

"Nonsense. Does this cover it?" Mumbo held out a small handful of coins.

"That's... way too much."

Mumbo chuckled. "I know. But you deserve it for putting up with us. And if you refuse to take it, I'll send it in as a donation tomorrow."

"Fine." The woman took the coins gently out of Mumbo's hand. "Thank you."

"It's no problem at all, miss..."

"Gemini. Or just Gem."

"Miss Gem." Mumbo gave the shopkeeper a small bow. "Thank you for everything." And walked swiftly out of the shop.

Grian, Scar, and the Guards were long gone, not that Mumbo expected them to stay. He walked along the light cobble and hummed to himself, grimacing when a certain someone fell into step beside him.

"Hello Mumbo."

"Tango."

"My boss wants to make sure you won't screw up our plans."

"He knows I promised I'd stay out of the way."

"That's no longer good enough."

Mumbo grabbed Tango and pulled him away from the street. "What does he want now?" Mumbo growled. "I'm already committing treason just by talking to you."

Tango sighed, his dark red eyes glowing ominously. "He needs your expertise."

"He can get whomever he wants to do his bidding, and he wants me? Forget it." Mumbo began to walk away, but the glow of another pair of eyes in the shadows stopped him. "Hello Bdubs."

"He wants you, because you're the best."

"Find someone else."

Bdubs was smirking while Tango's face stayed infuriatingly blank.

"This isn't a request, Mumbo."

"And what's your boss gonna do if I refuse? Kill me? If that was an option he would have done it already."

"Maybe he wouldn't kill you, but you are really close with the prince's mage. Maybe we'll kill him." For the first time, Tango smiled.

"Leave Scar out of this!"

"We only have to hurt him if you make us." Bdubs interjected.

"What does he want me to do?" Mumbo asked with clenched teeth.

"He needs all the power in the castle to go out when the sun falls below the horizon."

"And there isn't anyone else who can do this?" Mumbo's question was genuine. Why would they waste his talents on this?

"Perhaps you misunderstood. We need all the power to go out. Every line of that magic dust needs to go out. At the same time. When the sun is set."

Oh. That was gonna be more difficult. In any other circumstance, Mumbo would enjoy the challenge. He refused to admit it, but he might still enjoy it anyway.

"I'll begin as soon as I get back to the castle."

"Good."

Tango walked back into the stream of people on the street.

"Mumbo."

"What now, Bdubs?"

His normal smile was replaced with a practically blank expression. "Don't fail us Mumbo."

The redstoner hung his head. "I don't plan to." But when he looked back up, Bdubs was gone. Mumbo sighed, and began the walk back to the castle. He had a lot to think about.