The Creature

It was cold and dark. Grian hated it. When he was prince, he never went cold. Fire was always sitting in the fireplaces. It was never dark. Redstone lamps always lit up his rooms. But now? Now Grian was not the prince. There was no fire. There were no redstone lamps. Just cold and dark.

Grian didn't pay attention to where he ran, he just knew he did. By the time he slowed, the bunker was far out of view. Not that it was easy to see above ground anyways. He found a shallow cave and climbed inside, hoping it would provide some protection. It didn't, but he could at least pretend.

The ground was rough and damp where Grian lay. He was on his side, watching the entrance to the cave. A couple of stars poked through the leaves of the forest, and Grian watched them. He never saw stars when he was in the city. What were they? The former prince drifted off to sleep with that question on his mind.

Right when he was right between the realm of conscious and unconscious, Grian could've swore he heard a small hiss. He turned towards the sound, and fur greeted his face. On instinct, Grian pushed the creature away and scrambled back. It hissed louder and creeped forwards. It had four thick legs with a giant paw on each one. Its back was arched upwards and its neck was long. When it hissed, many sharp teeth were exposed and its eyes glowed slightly red.

It tilted its head, seemingly listening for something. What? Grian wasn't about to stick around and find out. He ran to the entrance of the cave, and the creature filled shortly after. It was fast. Where did it even come from? Not now, Grian scolded himself, there will be time for that later! The hiss got louder and louder until it finally went away. Grian slowed. Maybe it was gone.

It was not gone. Grian turned back to look, and the creature was less than a foot away. He could see the different shades of green in the creature's coat. It was almost pretty.

The hiss ended. But Grian didn't have time to process the change. He was thrown back by a large blast and flew out of the cave, hitting a tree and falling to the ground. He groaned, and tried to get up. The creature had other ideas, however, and pounced down next to him. This is the end, Grian thought, this is how I die. He braced himself for another attack, but one never came. Coughing, he pushed himself up to see the creature run away.

"Meow."

Huh?

Grian looked down in front of him to see a very prim little kitten.

"Pearl?"

"Meow." She rubbed her face on Grian's and tilted her head.

"What are you doing here? Wait no. How are you here?"

Pearl considered this.

"Meow."

A wave of nausea took over Grian. He clutched his stomach as the pain washed over him. When it passed, he brought his hand up to wipe the sweat from his eye. He stopped, however, when he saw thick red blood coating his fingers. Oh. He looked down to see a pool of the liquid under him. Oh. The pain came back. Oh.

The last thing he saw before he passed out was Pearl staring into his eyes. 

563 Words