The Afterlife

Scar was cold. Not physically, but emotionally. Like he was empty, devoid of everything that made him him. Who was he? Why could he not remember?

He tried to open his eyes, but realized he didn't have any. He tried to move his arms, but he didn't have any of those either. He wanted to scream, but he had no voice.

After hours (seconds?) of trying to move his body, he accepted that he didn't have one. Now, all he could try was magic. He reached out, not with his hands, but with his soul. What he was searching for, he didn't know. He just knew he needed to find it. After seconds (hours?) of searching, he found something. Another soul.

Scar felt himself thrown across dimensions. He groaned. Wait! He could speak. He opened his eyes and his heart dropped.

It was beautiful. Swirling smoke carpeted where Scar lay. It wasn't the floor, because he wasn't in a room. Not the ground, because he wasn't outside. The smoke wasn't solid, but solid enough to stand on. What? Scar drew his hand across the smoke, causing purple and blue particles to float all around. He looked up, and gasped. Thousands of stars lit up the sky. Sky? Not sky. Whatever it was, it was breathtaking. They were way more colorful than the stars on Earth. Blue and purple and yellow and red and white. They mixed and blended and moved. Moved? Yes, they were traveling across the sky. Left to right. Every now and then, a shooting star fell across the stars.

'Gorgeous, aren't they?'

Scar fell back and away from the voice. Or, where he assumed the voice came from. It was inside his head so difficult to discern its origin.

'Calm down, sorcerer.'

"How do you know that?"

'It's kinda obvious, when you're able to wake up in this dimension.'

"And where is this dimension?"

The voice was quiet.

"Hello?"

'Sorry, it's difficult to explain and I haven't had to in quite a while. This dimension is not a where, but a when. And a how.'

"What?"

'Like I said, it's difficult to explain. You can think of it as an extra dimension within the mortal realm.'

"Now I'm even more confused."

'That's okay. I didn't understand it either for a long, long time.'

"How long have you been here?"

'Ever since I died.'

"You're dead?"

'So are you.'

"I'm dead?"

'Yep.'

"Wow. I don't remember dying."

'What do you remember?'

Scar thought long and hard, but no matter what he tried, there was only one thing. "Waking up here."

'Do you want to remember?'

"Remember what?"

'Your life before. On Earth.'

"I don't know. Was it a good life?"

'Depends on your definition of good.'

"Oh."

The voice stayed silent, but Scar could sense it near him.

"What happens? If I choose not to remember?"