The Teacher

Grian squeezed his eyes shut. Everything was so colorful. How was it possible for it to be so colorful? Every single person he saw had a colorful mist following them. Every single person left some of their colorful mist everywhere they went. The mix of so many colors hurt his head. Why wouldn't it stop? Please, just make it stop.

He spent hours locked away in his room. Sometimes, when he was feeling good, it was easier to ignore, and he would venture outside and try to lead the country in a good way. Other times, the world was so vibrant it gave him massive headaches, making it nearly impossible to concentrate on such an immense task. Now was one of these times.

"Grian?"

"What do you want, Xelqua?"

Grian just recently learned he had a Watcher, and didn't really like the idea of someone watching him all the time. Xelqua tried to leave him alone, but sometimes he would try to start a conversation with Grian, of which he would quickly shoot down.

"I think I can help you with the headaches."

"Oh really? And how would you know how to do that?"

"I get them too."

"Sure you do."

"I promise. It's part of being a Seer."

"Now you're just making stuff up."

"It's the mist, right. So much of it that it overpowers everything else."

Grian turned towards Xelqua. "Yeah."

"Stop trying to make it disappear, that's only gonna make it more vibrant. Instead, pull it towards you."

Grian knew Xelqua wouldn't leave him until he tried it, so he huffed an okay. "What do I need to do?"

Xelqua held out a hand and summoned a dark orb. All around it, purple mist appeared. The orb dissipated, but the mist stayed.

"Take it."

"Your hand?"

"The magic."

"Oh." Grian reached out, but Xelqua pulled his hand back.

"Not with your hand."

"How then?"

Xelqua merely smiled.

Grian spent a minute trying to telepathically move the mist, then tried to will it towards himself, then spent a couple more minutes trying to move it telepathically.

"This is impossible."

"Is it? Or are you just thinking in the wrong dimension?"

"What are you on about now?"

"Why do you think not everyone can see magic?"

"I... don't know."

"Because not all of them have access to more than one dimension. Watchers, Arcane Soldiers, Mages, Sorcerers. We're all the same, able to manipulate the magic of a parallel dimension. But you and me? We can see and manipulate the magic. So stop trying to influence this dimension, and work alongside the magic."

Grian gave a short nod before closing his eyes. Seconds later, he felt magic surround him. His eyes opened again and he found Xelqua's purple magic swirling around him. He giggled, childlike and giddy.

"You did it!"

"How?" Grian asked as he drew the magic upwards.

"I don't know. It's just what we do."

The prince nodded before flicking his hand and sending the magic across the room. It hit the wall with a sickening boom, scorching the wallpaper and some drapes.

"Oops."

Xelqua laughed. "Remember that magic affects both dimensions, even if it's not corporal."

"Corporal?"

Xelqua held up one hand and summoned another orb, this time grabbing it with the other hand.

"Corporal." He said, holding up the orb. "Not-corporal." He added, holding up his hand with the purple mist. He tossed both towards the wall Grian already hurt. Two scorch marks were left beside the first. "You see how much more damage the corporal magic does to corporal things? The same is applied for magic beings, such that non-corporeal magic works better."

"Whoa."

"Wanna try again?"

"Definitely."

"I hoped you'd say that. Let's go find somewhere better to train thair your very flammable bedroom."

"Good idea."

Xelqua smiled at Grian and Grian smiled back.

"Thanks Xel."

Xelqua froze.

"Did I say something wrong?" Grian asked, kinda panicking.

"No, it's just... been a really long time since someone's called me that."

"You wanna... talk about it, maybe?"

"Sure. After your training. Deal?"

"Deal."

The pair walked side by side and Xelqua couldn't help but feel proud of Grian. He had come so far in the past couple weeks. It was hard to believe someone had changed so much so quickly. With a start, he realized that this must be how Hels had felt all those years ago. It was nice. 

738 Words