The Friends

Today

Jevin burst into the royal advisors room. He was fuming.

"What," he slammed his hand on the desk, "have you gotten me into?"

Impulse looked up slowly. "Is the job not done?"

"Of course not! The prince is not an Arcane Soldier."

"And how do you know this?"

Impulse's voice was so calm, it only made Jevin more angry.

"Because he has a Watcher."

This got a reaction.

"What? That's impossible."

"Apparently not, because I just saw him. I'm out. I quit. Find someone else to do this."

"Jevin?"

"What?" The mercenary spat.

"The totem?"

"I already popped it getting away from Grian's Watcher." And he left the room. He knew Impulse would send people after him to confirm his claim, but Jevin would be long gone by then. Perhaps it was time to move towns. This one was getting a little bit dangerous, even for him.

"Hey Jevin." He turned to see Hypno in his citizen clothes. "What happened to you?"

"I quit."

"But you love this job."

"Not anymore." He turned his head away. "It was a spur of the moment decision and now I don't know where to go."

"Hypno..."

"Can I join you, Jevin?"

The Jevin of yesterday would have said no, but the Jevin of yesterday was also prepared to kill a kid and his Watcher. The Jevin of today was seriously considering all of his life's choices. He had never been given bad information about a job. Or had he? How many lied to him about the people they wanted dead. Grian was not an Arcane Soldier. Perhaps Pyrao wasn't a murderer.

But that decision could not be changed. The past is finite. The future is infinitely flexible.

"Sure. Let's go before Impulse tries to kill me for popping his totem."

"You already popped it?"

Jevin chuckled. "Course not, what kinda fraud do you think I am?"

"Then why- oh."

"Yeah."

The pair left the building quickly, no fanfare or fuss. It seemed that not even pristeened castle guards were willing to get in the way of Jevin himself.

"Where are we going?" Hypno asked.

"I'm... not sure yet. My home isn't exactly safe for people like you."

To Jevin's surprise, Hypno laughed. "I can handle myself just fine. Just ask Cleo."

"You know Cleo?"

"Yeah, she's the one who led me to you."

"Huh."

"What do you mean 'huh'?"

"She doesn't take kindly to new people easily."

"Oh." Hypno paused. "You wouldn't be considering going back if there wasn't someone there that you cared about. I'm not gonna ask you to abandon them."

"Hypno." Jevin grabbed the knight's shoulder and turned so they were facing each other. "You're one of those people, y'know. The ones that I care about? I'm not gonna abandon you either. We'll figure something out."

Hypno smiled, and Jevin smiled back.

"I've missed you."

"I've missed you too." 

479 Words