The Assassin

Some Time Earlier

The room was cold, but Etho liked it that way. He waited in the dark corridor, practically becoming one of the shadows on the walls. A black cloak wrapped around him and a mask covered half of his face. It was his uniform. Not a required one, but one he kept adherence to anyway. It gave him an aura of mystique and Etho liked that. It was not long before he heard light footsteps come towards him. He smiled under the mask and drew his blade.

Before he even knew Etho was there, Pyrao lay dead on the floor, blood blossoming from the wound in his chest.

"Goodbye, old friend." Etho whispered.

His job here was done.

He went back home, leaving only the body and a small slip of paper behind him. On the paper were two simply drawn eyes, one with a line though. It was his signature, all the proof he needed to show that this kill was his. Some had tried to take credit for his work before, but he didn't care. Those people were always caught by the officials of the lovely little town he resided in. And yet, the card kept showing up. Because Etho was too good to get caught. Not arrogance, but a fact.

As he walked down the thin alleyways outside and away from Pyrao's home, the shadows began to grasp at his clothes. Odd things happened to him sometimes, but this was not within the norm. So he ran, but the shadows followed relentlessly. There was no escape.

"Hello, young warrior."

Etho stopped. That voice was in his head. The only voice that should be in his head was his.

"You're not wrong."

"Who are you?" Etho whisper shouted.

"My name is Pearl. I have an offer."

"No. Go away." Etho hissed.

"You don't even want to hear?"

"No. I don't know you so how can I trust you?"

"Young warrior... can you even trust yourself?"

Etho didn't respond, and that was answer enough.

"I can give you something you've always wanted."

"Oh really?"

"You see that castle in the distance?"

"Yeah?"

"How would you like to live there?"

"I haven't always wanted that."

"But you have been wanting a safe place to live. With no murder and no need to fear when you fall asleep."

Etho knew the disembodied voice was right.

"And if I accept?"

"I'll give you a gift. I'll take you to the castle. And you will live your life as a castle guard."

"Why? What's so important about me that you would give me this?"

"I can't tell you. Just know that you are very important to this country's future."

"Ha. I doubt that."

"You'll see, little warrior. It will all make sense eventually."

"Fine. Okay. Take me there."

"Not just yet. I have a gift first, remember?"

"Oh yeah."

A small orb of dark mist appeared before Etho. It was the same kind of mist that was chasing him earlier, but this time it was different. It felt... safe. He took the orb in his hands and the mist seeped into Etho's skin. All that was left was a small black ring.