13

Meredith crept cautiously down the wooden staircase, knowing instinctively where to step and where not to step. She reached the last step and peered around the banister towards the kitchen doorway. When there was no movement, she motioned for Derek to join her.

He deftly made his way down the stairs, almost as knowledgeable as her as to where the squeaky spots were, and hovered beside her at the landing, his breath hot against her neck as his hand found purchase on her hip.

"You make a go for the door. I'll cover you," She whispered.

"I feel like we're in a really bad spy movie," he responded, his stubble tickling the side of her neck as he leaned in close.

She suppressed a giggle and gently shoved him away from her and towards the front door. Once he was safely across the landing, and out of sight of the kitchen door, she moved to catch up, and they were only feet away from a successful escape when a familiar voice stopped Meredith dead in her tracks.

"What do you think you're doing?"

Meredith cringed and spun to meet the scrutinizing gaze of her roommate, standing tall, a heavy book cracked open and clutched in her arms, her eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"Uh..." She scrambled for answer as she felt Derek step up behind her. The doorbell rang behind them.

"We're answering the door," Derek answered easily, causing Meredith to stifle a laugh at his matter-of-fact tone.

Izzy, of course, wasn't buying it. "Don't tell me you two are going to the hospital..."

"Well..." Meredith trailed off.

"Come on! Everyone is supposed to be in the kitchen by nine to help me make dinner."

"Iz-"

"It's Thanksgiving." The doorbell rang again in the background.

"I know, but we have to work."

"But it's like a family-" The doorbell rang again.

"Got to get the door," Meredith turned, around Derek, and pulled open the front door.

"Is this where Georgie lives?" A friendly man, being flanked by two younger men, asked.

"Georgie?"

"O'Malley," he clarified. "Where is he, upstairs?"

"Oh, George, yeah," Meredith stuttered, suddenly remembering her roommate's ranting about his family nickname. This would make the friendly older man his father, and the two others his older brothers.

"O'Malley!" They yelled together, pushing through the door and towards the stairs.

Derek stepped out of their way with an amused expression, and Izzy met her gaze.

"Should I call the police?" She asked jokingly as she turned to watch them trail up the stairs.

Meredith saw an opportunity and quickly motioned for Derek to join her in escaping through the still open door while her roommate's attention was elsewhere. He passed her silently, and she pulled the door shut behind her, just in time to hear Izzy yelling for them to be back by six.

Meredith was still laughing as she plopped herself down in the passenger seat of Derek's car. "Good work, partner," she said as she leaned across her seat to kiss him. "Successful escape."

Derek laughed. "Yeah, it was close call. For a second I wasn't sure we were going to make it," he said sarcastically.

She laughed again as he put the car into reverse and backed out of the driveway. "That's definitely the most fun I've ever had leaving my house."