20

"Invasive non-small cell with history of COPD," an unfamiliar, husky voice said over her shoulder, as its owner read off the computer screen in front of her. She turned to look at the sudden intruder into her personal space. "The guy's pretty much a goner."

She raised an eyebrow, taking in the tall, built, sexy man who now stood beside her. "Sensitivity; I like that in a stranger..." She looked back at her chart. "Are you new here?" She assumed he was a doctor.

"Visiting. I'm confounded by all the rain, and it's only my first day in town..."

She could see exactly where he was going with this little conversation he had initiated. And she had to admit he was very attractive, and exactly what she would have gone for in the past. She wandered down the counter in front of her. "You get used to it," she called over her shoulder, hoping he would get the hint. She had started out the day on a bad note with her mother. She definitely didn't need this now. Her mother had had an affair. She had cheated on Meredith's father; a father Meredith had never seen again after age five.

He didn't get the hint; or rather, he chose to ignore it. He seemed like exactly the kind of guy who would ignore it. He followed her down the counter. "It makes me want to stay in bed all day."

She couldn't help the smile that came to her face. He definitely had balls to say something like that; so outright. She turned to him. "Excuse me?"

He smirked. "I'm just saying..."

"You know, you're not very subtle."

"Subtle has never been my strong suit."

She shook her head, again moving away from him.

"So," he began, continuing to follow her. "Do you ever go out with co-workers?"

He was definitely in need of a stronger hint. She stood up straight and met his eyes. "Only one."

"Ouch; that's a blow off if I've ever seen one." He paused and stared down at her hands, his eyes expertly seeking out one important finger. "But there's no ring, so I still have a shot, right?"

She laughed. There weren't many guys who would keep pushing. He had obviously had lots of practice. He was very engaging, she'd give him that much. "I'd have to say no."

"A real no, or an I'm-playing-hard-to-get no?"

"A real no."

He huffed, and changed his tactics. "So, this boyfriend..."

"What about him?"

"Well, I just want to know that he's good for you."

She crossed her arms over her chest. "And why would you care?"

"I like to think that we've bonded in the past few minutes. I need to know that he's good for you, so that you're happy."

She shook his head. "He's perfect for me."

"Perfect, huh? I guess my chances are getting slimmer."

"I don't think they were all that big to start out."

He smiled approvingly. "Just reassure me he's a good guy, that he wows you, lifts you off your feet, or whatever."

She smirked. "He was obviously more successful than you were..."

His face broke out into a large grin. "I'm impressed. Very impressed. There aren't many like you out there. It's very nice to meet you; I'd like to shake your hand." He stuck his hand out as a peace offering.

Meredith rolled her eyes in good humour and went to shake his hand. "I'm Meredith."

He opened his mouth to respond, but a shadow fell upon them, and then the handsome stranger was on the floor. And Derek was hissing as he unclenched his fist, glaring menacingly down at the crumpled form.