91

Meredith pulled her suitcase out of the trunk of the rental car with a thunk, thunk, thud as the wheels finally cleared the car and found pavement.

"Try not to dent the car in front of the rental agents," Derek said lightly as he appeared beside her and reached for his own suitcase.

She giggled. "Sorry. It's heavier than it was before."

He pressed a kiss to her cheek. "That's because you bought out half a department store."

She swiped a hand at his chest. "I did not."

He chuckled, but said nothing as he reached to lift his own bag out of the trunk, but as careful as he was, a corner wheel caught the edge of the trunk on the way out.

Meredith snickered. "I guess I'm not the only one whose suitcase is heavier..." She said, reminding him she wasn't the only one who had participated in their shopping expedition four days earlier.

He growled in the back of his throat, "Smartass."

"You're just upset because I caught you."

Instead of responding verbally, he grasped onto the fabric of the front of her shirt and leaned in to kiss her.

"You're just trying to distract me," she mumbled when he pulled away.

He cocked his head. "Is it working?"

She shrugged. "Maybe."

He pecked her lips before shutting the trunk. "You ready to go?"

"Yes. Did you make sure we got everything out of the front seat?"

He nodded.

Meredith swung her carryon bag over her shoulder and reached for his hand. Derek, with his matching carryon that snapped onto the top of his suitcase, smiled and threaded his fingers through hers. They walked together through the closed off area of the parking lot to the rental agency to return the car keys, and then started the walk through the throngs of passengers waiting to check in for their flights.

"I feel like I was just here," Meredith muttered.

Derek chuckled. "You were."

She made a face. It seemed like she had spent weeks at the Shepherd house, and not only a few days. They'd have to go for longer next time. Derek had promised her months ago, amidst her freaking out about meeting his family, that the first visit would be kept short. And even if she had joined him when she had been supposed to, it only would have added an extra day to the visit.

But, even though she had lost a day of an already short trip, she had still found herself a place in the life of his family. They were nice people, the Shepherds. Kind and thoughtful and welcoming. A lot like Derek.

She wouldn't have any qualms about visiting them in the future. Derek had already mentioned his sister was getting married in the fall. And that she had asked him to walk her down the aisle. Meredith was proud of him for taking the time to listen to his sister; to accept Nathan.

They reached the check-in for their flight and joined the short business class line.

Derek snaked his arms around her, pulling her into a loose hug as they waited for their line to move forward. "We'll be on a beach soon," he murmured.

She smiled against his chest as her fingers closed around the fabric of his shirt. "Just a three hour plane ride in our way."

"We'll just have to find some way of passing the time..." He whispered hotly against her neck.

Meredith giggled. "Never going to happen."

He grumbled against her. "I'll make it worth your while."

"Can't you wait until we get there?"