100

A little more than five weeks had passed since Meredith's first shift as a full-fledged resident, and it was only now that felt able to work a few less hours a week and leave her interns to fend for themselves more. The little bit of extra sleep she was getting was nice, not to mention it was incredibly nice to have dinner with her husband more than once a week.

She had been on call the night before, but had actually gotten a few solid hours of sleep. She was scheduled to be off at four that evening, and didn't have to be back for the entire weekend. It was the first time since returning from her two week vacation that she had more than one day off at a time.

And the best part was that Derek's schedule was the same. They had decided to forgo their – as of yet unsuccessful – house hunting for the weekend and head out to the trailer for some privacy. She just had to get through the next eight hours.

Rounds were over, her patients were stable and her interns were all assigned for the day. She wasn't scheduled to be in surgery for an hour, so she had taken the opportunity to head downstairs to the coffee cart.

Her coffee was still too hot to drink, but there was nothing to stop her from inhaling the steam wafting though the lid. The halls were quiet as she meandered back to the elevators, and when the elevator doors opened, the elevator was empty. She stepped on and pressed the button for the surgical floor, inhaling the steam from her coffee cup again. Just eight more hours until she had an entire weekend off with her husband.

Just eight more hours.

She couldn't wait.

The elevator doors began to close, but a hand shoved between them at the last moment, and they opened.

Meredith looked up and smiled as her husband joined her. "Morning."

"Morning," he echoed, his hands finding her hips as he leaned in to kiss her. "How was your night?"

"Better than expected. I actually got a few hours of sleep."

He smiled. "Good." His lips found her neck.

"You're in an awfully good mood this morning," she commented.

He chuckled, his breath warm against the sensitive skin in the crook of her neck. "Let's go away this weekend."

"We are going away this weekend," she pointed out.

He moved away quickly, leaving her momentarily confused. And then his palm found the emergency stop button. A heartbeat later, she was back in his arms, her back pressed up against the wall. "The trailer doesn't count. Let's go somewhere else."

"Like where?"

"Wine country."

"Wine country?"

"Mmm, yes," he murmured into the crook of her neck.

She grasped onto his arm with her free hand and struggled to keep her coffee upright as he pressed into her. "Are we wine country type of people?"

His breath was hot against her neck as he chuckled. "We like wine. We like being in the country. It just makes sense."

Meredith giggled. "What's wrong with a bottle of wine at the trailer?"

"It's not the same."

"Wasn't the theme for this weekend that we had forty-eight uninterrupted hours together?"

"Forty-eight uninterrupted hours," he agreed.

She buried the fingers of her free hand in his hair. "I'm not seeing the point in driving all that way just to spend the weekend in bed..."