9. Coffee & Long Conversations

^ If you're looking for new music, check out this song and their new album, Wilder Mind. I think you'll like it. :)

It was midnight and Niall and I were still at Harry and Bridget's apartment. Something big is happening but no one's saying a word which is driving me crazy. I swear if this silence continues, I'm going to throw my tea cup at the wall.

Harry's elbow was on this leg, his face resting in the palm of his hand. His eyebrows were furrowed in deep thought. He looked angry which was intimidating. Bridget on the other hand looked upset. She kept on shaking her head in disbelief. I turned to look at Niall. He seemed to be deep in thought as well. He's most likely thinking about the whole situation and his cousin. I decided to speak up to break the silence.

"So-" I started but I was abruptly cut off by Harry.

"Are you absolutely certain your cousin doesn't have any powers?" Although Harry was staring off into the distance, it was obvious his question was directed towards Niall.

"I'm absolutely certain," Niall replied with confidence. "We grew up together and I told him all my secrets, including my powers. If he had powers as well, there's no doubt he would've told me about them. He never showed any signs of having the ability to control fire." Niall paused and then started laughing. A smile crept on his face. "There was this one summer we had a family BBQ and he was responsible for cooking all the meat. He's a clumsy lad, I'll tell you that. His sleeve caught on fire and he jumped into the pool to douse the flames. He's definitely not fireproof."

I smiled at Niall's memory of his cousin. Although his cousin was long gone, he still had memories to hold on to. His memory reminded me of a time my shirt sleeve caught on fire from my little brother's birthday cake. I had no idea why my mom was freaking out because I couldn't feel anything. It wasn't until the flames grew in size that I realized what was going on. My dad had to blast my arm with a fire extinguisher and I was quickly taken to the emergency room, but the doctor couldn't find any burns which puzzled them all to no end. My parents knew I wasn't normal after that but they never questioned it. They just thought I couldn't feel pain or that I was born with super thick skin. They went with the latter explanation because of how stubborn I was as a kid. Although the memory was a sweet one, it made me sad to remember that I no longer had my mom, dad, and brother with me. I felt alone and out of place. The familiar feeling of guilt started to return.

Harry abruptly got up, snapping me out of my thoughts. "We need to talk to him now." Bridget quickly got up and grabbed his arm to stop him from heading towards the door.

"No, not yet," she said sternly, looking him straight in the eyes. "There's probably a logical reason for why he lied. We should listen to his side of the story first. We should talk to him tomorrow. He's probably asleep right now." Harry sighed and glumly walked back towards the couch.

Harry rubbed his tired eyes. "I just don't understand why he'd lie to us. We've been nothing but faithful to him. Why would he let us down like that?" Bridget shrugged her shoulders.

There was another long moment of silence before Bridget spoke up. "I guess there's no reason for the two of you to stay here any longer," Bridget began. "You two should go home. Take some time to let all of this sink in. Just remember to keep this information to yourself. We'll meet again soon."

"Are we going to be there when you talk to your friend?" I asked. Harry and Bridget looked at each other.

"I think they should," Bridget answered. It was obvious Harry objected to the idea but he sighed and nodded in agreement.

"Just promise me that you won't do anything until you hear his story, Niall," Harry said sternly.

"I'll try but I can't promise you anything," Niall replied. "I don't know what I'll do when I get angry."