12. Lesson One: Control

While the others were getting ready, I stepped outside to call my aunt and uncle. I turned my phone off last night because I had no service and wanted to conserve my battery as much as possible. I don't know when I'll be home next.

When I turned on my phone, I was bombarded by multiple missed calls and voicemails from my aunt and uncle. I decided to skip the voicemails and call my aunt and uncle directly. I dialed my aunt's number and waited. She picked up on the third ring.

"VIOLET MAE REED. WHERE ON EARTH ARE YOU?!" her voice boomed. I had to move the phone away from my ear to prevent hearing damage. She was beyond mad. She was furious. Right when I was about to answer, I paused. What am I going to tell her?

"Well--I--" I started but my voice faltered. Should I tell her the truth? If I did, will she ever believe me?

"Well?" my aunt pressed. I could hear the impatience in her voice.

"I can't tell you, I'm sorry. But I want you to know that I'm okay. I have food and I have somewhere to sleep. I'm not alone. I'm with friends."

"What?!" my aunt asked incredulously. "What's that supposed to mean? Why can't you tell me? When will you be home? We love and miss you, Violet."

"I love you guys too," I replied. "I'll be home soon. I don't know when I'll be home exactly but I'll be home soon."

"Did we do something to upset you? Did you run away from us?" I could hear the hurt in her voice.

"No. You guys are doing a great job. I couldn't have asked for better parents," I assured her. I was surprised I called them my parents. I love them. I really do. I could hear her sobbing.

"I want you to be safe. Are you with Niall?"

"Yes. And two other friends who are good people," I answered.

"I like Niall. Alright, I'll let you go. Can't wait to see you again. Be safe."

"I will. Love you." I hung up the phone and frowned at my 32% battery life.

"Violet Mae Reed." I jumped to find Harry leaning against his car with his arms crossed. "Suits you pretty well."

"Were you standing there the whole time?" I asked.

"Yeah. I was wondering where you went off to. So how'd your parents handle the situation?"

"She took it surprisingly well."

"You should move out. That way, you don't have to deal with any of that stuff."

"They'll keep me as long as they can," I replied. "I'm the child they never had."

The motel room door swung open and a refreshed and happy Bridget walked out with Niall following close behind.

"Let's get started on the training. First off, who's comfortable with their powers?" Everyone except me raised their hand. "Wow, that's pretty good. Don't worry Violet. We'll get you up to speed soon. I was thinking for the training, we should first practice control. Once that's mastered, we'll have mini matches against each other."

"There's no way I'm going against Violet," Niall responded. "I'll be cooked alive." I frowned but Niall gave me a smile to show he was joking.

"Who's good at control?" Bridget asked. No one raised their hand. "Well then...who's fireproof?" Niall pointed at Harry. "Harry! You'll partner up with Violet and teach her how to control her powers. Niall and I will practice with each other."

We decided to drive to a secluded park with a lake. The grassy field stretched as far as the eye could see. Why there was a park in the middle of nowhere, I had no idea but I was glad it was there. Niall and Bridget walked to one end of the lake while Harry and I were at the other end of the lake. I looked around. Surprisingly, we were the only ones here.