27. Freedom at Last

"My wife says I don't do enough for her. What does that mean exactly?" Tom asked. Fifteen minutes into the wait, I suddenly became Tom's therapist.

"Shouldn't you be asking your wife that?" I asked back. I didn't mean to be rude but he didn't give me much to go off on.

"You know what? You're right. I should ask her what she wants and do it. Thanks for the advice." I shot him a quick smile and sat back in my chair. It was unfortunate that the interrogation room didn't have much to look at. The small stuffy room became even stuffier with Tom's large frame in the room. The grey walls seemed to close in on me. Thirty minutes is a long time to wait.

"I think you'll be let go," Tom stated, breaking the silence. I turned to look at him, curious. Why is he telling me this?

"You really think so?" I asked. I didn't want to get my hopes up too high.

"Yeah. I don't think they have enough evidence to hold you overnight."

"I guess we'll find out in a few minutes."

As if on cue, the door suddenly opened, revealing a very tired Matt. It seemed as if he had just finished arguing with someone and lost.

"You're free to go," Matt said dully.

"Really?" I asked, a little too excitedly. I got rid of my excitement and cleared my throat. "May I ask why?"

"There was insufficient evidence but you are still a person of interest. Not a suspect exactly but we might need more information from you to solve this murder case." I nodded in understanding.

"I'm happy to help," I said. "Thank you for releasing me." Tom gave me a look that said 'I told you so' while Matt brushed off my thank you. I'm starting to believe Matt wants me arrested. Maybe he's a rookie trying to prove his worth to the team but is failing miserably. I know I'm being a bit harsh but hey, if you were wrongly accused of murder, things won't exactly be 'okay' with the person who accused you of the crime.

I grabbed my bag, phone, and jacket and took off only to come back shortly after. Where the hell is the car? I walked back to the interrogation room and Tom and Matt were surprised to see me.

"I need a ride back to Dr. Rosario's house, please," I explained.

The car ride back to Dr. Rosario's house was awkward to say the least. Matt drove me back and he was distracted the whole time, probably trying to figure out how to further incriminate me. The ride back was quick and I was disappointed to see that the scene at Dr. Rosario's house had died down. There was a single police car parked in the driveway with the lights turned off. It was like nothing had ever happened.

I thanked Matt and got out of the car. I slowly made my way to Harry's car and unlocked it. Once inside, I quickly called Harry. He picked up on the first ring.

"How are you doing?" he breathed.

"I'm good. They let me go," I answered. I could hear him sigh in relief.

"Oh thank goodness. Are you on your way home right now?"

"Yup but it will be an hour or so."

.

.

Everyone was awake when I came back, surprisingly. It seems like Harry had woken up the whole crew. The first thing I did was run straight into Harry's arms. He smelled wonderful and I could stay in his arms forever.

I guess we must've hugged for a long time because I heard Harry softly clear his throat. I looked at him, then around the room, and noticed everyone was looking at us. Oh, how embarrassing.