29. Gaining the Upper Hand

"I don't understand. Why would he help you?" Niall asked.

"He'll do anything to keep his son alive. He realizes this is getting dangerous and if Zayn continues what he's doing, he could be dead. All we're doing is sending Zayn to jail. He'll be in jail but at least he'll be alive, you know?" I explained.

"I still don't get it," Niall replied. I sighed. Talking to Niall was like talking to a brick wall.

"What does the note say, Violet?" Bridget asked, ignoring Niall.

"He wrote: Kseniya Kuzmich is dead but Zayn doesn't know that."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Bridget asked. "First, why would he lie to his son? And second, what information is Zayn going off of to find Kseniya even though she's no longer alive?"

"Maybe he's sitting at the computer doing research?" Harry proposed.

"Well wouldn't he find out sooner or later that she's dead? An obituary will probably pop up in his search results," Bridget said, shooting down Harry's idea."This makes no sense whatsoever. I'm going to sleep." With a frustrated sigh, Bridget went upstairs to her room.

"Maybe he's after Dr. Chen now?" Liam asked.

"He's on the other side of the country. That's way too far. There's no way I'm going to California to save his ass," Niall commented.

"This is giving me a headache," I said, plopping down onto the couch. I turned on the TV. Harry and Niall joined me.

"Aw, it's raining tomorrow," Niall pouted. The weatherman was now showing the seven day forecast. It was going to be rainy and windy all week. Lovely. Just lovely.

My phone suddenly buzzed and I jumped from the sound. I was glad Harry was kind enough to not say anything about it. He just smiled sleepily at me. When I removed my phone, I saw that I got a call from an unknown number. I immediately answered it and walked into the kitchen.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Hello Violet, it's Matt. Remember me?" I heard Matt say. Yes, I remember you. Unfortunately.

"Is something wrong? Why are you calling?"

"We found a break in Dr. Rosario's case and we're hoping you can help us." I held my breath in excitement.

"You need my help?"

"Yes. Now if you could come to the Luxford Police Department as soon as possible, that'd be great. We'll be here till 8 PM." I glanced at the clock. It was now four in the afternoon.

"I'm a two hour drive away. I won't be there till six," I told Matt.

"Where are you?"

"I'm at Sidney." I could hear him typing on his computer, no doubt looking up where Sidney is.

"Let's...hmm...let's see. Ah, that's where Sidney is! Why don't we...meet in the middle? Hampstead, perhaps?"

"You're going to have to tell me where that is because I have no idea where Hampstead is."

"If you drew a straight line connecting Luxford and Sidney, Hampstead is approximately halfway, cutting your trip in half."

"Sounds good to me."

"Looks like they have a Starbucks there. Let's meet at the Starbucks on NE 85th Street. The address is 1001 NE 85th Street. Is that okay with you?"

"Yes it is. Can I bring some friends of mine?"

"Now why would you do that? We'll be talking about confidential stuff that must be kept strictly between the two of us."

"Can I at least bring my boyfriend? He'll be worried sick if I leave without him."