23. Talk

It was Saturday morning. Our bags were packed and ready to go. We weren't sure how long our stay at Luxford would be but we hoped it wasn't long.

We all climbed into Harry's car and started our one-hour journey away from the city and into the suburbs. Luxford is a nice community mainly populated by retirees who are well off. I was excited to see the beautiful homes these people lived in. I would never be able to afford them but a girl can dream, right?

The towering skyscrapers slowly turned to buildings no more than ten stories high. Out here, there was more space. Each property had an abundance of land and buildings were more spread out. I'd love to live out here but I wouldn't be able to stand the long commute to the city. Even the subway doesn't go out here.

Harry took an exit off the freeway and carefully navigated the foreign streets of Luxford with the help of Niall.

"Stay in the left lane because you will eventually have to turn left," Niall advised, holding the large map out in front of him.

"When do I turn left?" Harry asked uncertainly.

"When I tell you to."

"Okay...."

I had to admit that if I was driving, Niall would be the last person I want giving me directions. He was so vague and told you things later than you wanted. I offered to help with the directions but Niall waved me off saying he had things under control.

After a few wrong turns, we finally made it to Dr. Rosario's house. Dr. Rosario's house was smaller than the rest of the houses on his block but still beautiful and well-maintained nonetheless. His house sat at the end of the street. Harry parked the car a few houses down from Dr. Rosario's and cut the engine. He turned to face us.

"So what's the plan? How should we approach him without scaring him?"

"All of us shouldn't go at once. I say we have two people talk to him max. Once we earn his trust, we can invite everyone to come along," Bridget answered. "So who wants to go?"

"I volunteer as tribute," Niall piped up. Everyone stared at him. "What?"

"You read The Hunger Games?" I asked.

"No," Niall scoffed. "Ain't nobody got time for that! I watch the movies. Jennifer Lawrence is such a babe. But anyways, my legs are cramped and I need to get out, okay?"

"So who wants to go with Niall?" Bridget asked.

"I'll go," I said, surprising myself. I didn't have a plan in mind but I wanted to talk to him and ask questions.

"Alright then. We're set. We'll keep an eye on you guys in case Zayn and his peeps come," Bridget replied.

Niall and I made our way to the front door. The curtains were open which was a good sign. I took a deep breath and rang the doorbell. I could hear his dog barking inside and Dr. Rosario silencing his dog. A few seconds later, the door cracked open and Dr. Rosario stared at us with glasses that magnified his eyes.

"Hello, I'm sorry but I'm not interested in what you're selling," Dr. Rosario said quickly, closing the door.

"We're not selling anything!" I quickly shouted, hoping he'd stop closing the door but I was too late. The door was closed. Niall stood there scratching his head.