36. One Year Anniversary

Six months later...

It was our one year anniversary. We didn't do anything fancy--instead, we decided to spend the day with my uncle at the bakery. My uncle closed the bakery early for the occasion. The music was blaring, and Harry and I were lip syncing to tunes from the radio as we were cleaning the bakery. At one time, we were dancing but we soon stopped because I kept stepping on his toes and pushing him into chairs and tables.

"Where's your uncle at?" Harry said in my ear. "I bet this was his plan all along. Making us clean the bakery while he 'prepares' dinner for us upstairs." I couldn't help but laugh. I slapped his arm playfully.

"Harry!" I shouted.

"You guys talking sh*t about me?" We saw my uncle emerge from the hallway.

"Of course not, Mark," Harry replied innocently. I just continued laughing.

"I'm watching you Harry. You guys can put away the broom and towels. Dinner is ready." Harry and I put away the cleaning supplies and we all walked up the stairs.

The dining room was dimly lit by candles. There was a beautiful flower arrangement on the table and the plates and utensils were neatly set up.

"I feel severely under-dressed for this occasion," I said, frowning.

"I still think you look beautiful," Harry said, smiling, and my stomach started doing back flips.

"Have a seat," my uncle said, pulling a chair out for me to sit on. I sat down. Harry waited patiently for my uncle to seat him.

"You have two legs--you can seat yourself," my uncle snapped, smirking. Harry and I laughed but Harry sat down by himself anyway. "That's what you get for talking sh*t about me. You're lucky I didn't spit in your food." I covered my face in embarrassment but luckily Harry was good-natured about it all. "Some soup to start...." Uncle Mark gave us each a bowl of soup. "Bouillabaisse. Bon appétit!"

The food was so fancy I felt out of place but boy did my uncle know a thing or two about romantic French dinners! Our main dish was gigot d'agneau pleureur with roasted potatoes which was served with red Médoc wine, and we had profiteroles for dessert. It was a dream come true.

Harry and I sat comfortably on the couch, full and happy. Uncle Mark was in the kitchen doing the dishes and we were watching the news. I wasn't paying any attention to the news, though, as I was too busy admiring Harry's jawline. Harry turned to face me and I didn't even bother to hide the fact that I was staring.

"Happy one year anniversary," Harry said, kissing me on the lips. "I admit I was a little hesitant but your uncle did a great job."

"I'll tell him that," I replied.

The anchorman suddenly announced breaking news and our attention went to the TV.

"We have just been informed that two inmates escaped from maximum security from the York Island County Jail," the anchorman explained in a serious tone. My eyes widened, not believing what I was hearing. "Please take a careful look at these two pictures. The male on the left is Zayn Malik and the male on the right is Louis Tomlinson. If you see them, please call 911. They are extremely dangerous people. If you see them, do not approach them. Just call the police. The police are actively searching the area surrounding the prison for them but they have not yet been found. It is unknown how long they have been free for and how they have managed to escape. We'll bring you more updates as soon as they come."

I continued to stare at the screen even though they were no longer talking about the escape. Zayn and Louis are free and I don't know what that means. Will they come after us now? Or will they try to find Dr. Chen? I turned to look at Harry in panic and was surprised at how calm he was about the whole situation.

"There's no need to worry," he said, pulling me into a hug. "We've done this before and we can do it again. I won't let anything happen to you, I promise."

-- End --

.

.

.

THANK YOU for reading this story from beginning to end and thank you for the comments and votes! I hope you enjoyed reading this story.

I'm sorry to say this story won't have a sequel. It's up to you to decide what happens next. :)

Now that Fireproof is done, I'll be working on editing both Change and Fireproof. If you enjoyed this story, please check out Change! Also, be on the lookout for my new story "Mirror" on Wattpad. It's a little different but I hope you like the concept.

Again, thank you for everything. <3

+

ABOUT

I first started writing Fireproof on a Word Document on December 27, 2014. I started publishing Fireproof on Wattpad January 2015 and posted the last chapter on February 7, 2016. I can't believe it's been over a year but I'm glad to say I finished my second story. :)