28. Yaser Malik

"So let me get this straight. You want us to find Zayn's dad?" Niall asked. The broccoli fell off his fork but he didn't notice. He put the fork in his mouth only to taste metal.

"Yes," Liam simply replied.

"Y'all are crazy. Finding Zayn's dad is a death sentence. Count me out."

"But don't you want revenge?" I asked, trying to provoke him. "Zayn killed your cousin. Don't you want justice?" Niall stared at me. I couldn't tell if he was angry at me for bringing his cousin up or if he was angry at Zayn.

"Fine. I'm only doing this for my cousin but if things start to look bad, I'm running." I was slightly disappointed in Niall's response. I thought we had each other's backs.

"Okay, Niall's in," I summarized. "What about you guys? Harry? Bridget?"

"I'm in," Harry replied.

"I-I don't know," Bridget said hesitantly. "I think it's dangerous."

"But we have no other choice. How on earth are we going to find Dr. Kuzmich?" I asked. Bridget was at a loss for words so she simply shrugged her shoulders.

"Fine, I'm in," Bridget huffed. "But how will we find him?"

I turned to look at Liam. "Liam knows where to find him. Go on, tell them."

Liam smiled. "I know where he works. He still works for the government but he moved to a different department. Instead of working on secret science experiments, he now works on unsolved cases such as fires, homicides, burglary, and so on." My ears perked up. He works on unsolved fires?

"How will we approach him?" Harry asked, testing the water. "He'll be at work with his coworkers. There are too many people around. And how do we know that Zayn's not keeping an eye on his dad as well? Zayn murdered Niall's cousin and Violet's aunt. There's no doubt he's keeping an eye on his dad for safety."

"What if I approach him saying I have evidence that can close one of his cases?" I suggested. All eyes instantly turned to me.

"What are you suggesting?" Bridget asked, her eyes narrowing.

"Liam said he works on unsolved cases such as fires," I said. "What if I, the survivor of an unsolved fire, came forward saying I know the cause of the fire?"

"But wasn't your case closed?" Harry asked.

"It probably is but it doesn't mean it can't be opened again. They closed it because they couldn't solve it. If I come saying I know what caused it, I'm sure he would be all ears."

"But what if he recognizes you? Knows who you are?" Harry continued.

"We have no choice. This is the only way we can reach him. What is it that you're afraid of, Harry?" I asked him back. Harry's bright green eyes burned into mine. His lips were in a straight line, his expression serious. Right away, I could tell he didn't like my challenging him.

"I don't want to lose you again." His words hit me right where it hurt. I know he's thinking of the time Drew choked me and the time I ran away to help Dr. Rosario without telling anyone. Suddenly my confidence faltered and I had to look away. Is it crazy of me to approach Zayn's dad on my own? Am I really that reckless?

"He's got a point," Bridget said softly. Her voice was barely audible and she looked slightly hurt. Once she realized all eyes were on her, she quickly put on her indifferent mask. "It's too dangerous to send Violet off on her own."

"But I'll be talking to him while his coworkers are around. What harm can he do to me?" I shot back. Bridget opened her mouth to protest but then closed it again.