16. Feelings For You

I quickly opened the door to the bakery and turned on the lights. It was strange seeing the bakery so empty, so lifeless. I walked into the kitchen and looked around. This was where my aunt spent most of her life. This is what she loved doing.

I quickly left the kitchen before I got too emotional and made my way up the stairs to our house. Halfway up the stairs, I suddenly stopped, making Harry crash into me.

"Sorry," he mumbled. I still didn't move. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know," I whispered. "It's too quiet in there. The TV is usually on but I don't hear it."

Harry's eyes widened in fear. "Do you think Zayn's in there? Be careful." I nodded and slowly made my way up the stairs and turned the doorknob. I opened the door slightly and peered in. The curtains were closed so it was dark inside, making everything eerie, but I didn't see anyone or anything out of the ordinary. I finally gathered the courage to walk in.

"Uncle Mark?" I whisper shouted. There was no response. A faint light in the hallway caught my attention and I walked towards it. As I neared the light, I realized it came from my aunt and uncle's room which was closed. "Uncle Mark?" I repeated. This time, my voice was louder. I still heard nothing.

I edged towards the door, slowly turned the handle and pushed the door open. I saw my uncle sitting in a recliner facing the window. His back was to me and he was eerily still and silent.

"Uncle Mark?" I said softly. I held my breath fearing the worst.

To my relief, he turned around in his chair to face me. As soon as he saw me, he broke down in tears and his arms reached out for me. I scrambled to hug him. He sobbed uncontrollably in my chest and I couldn't help but cry as well as I held him.

"It's okay," I said to him trying to calm him down.

"No it's not!" he sobbed. "She's gone! The love of my life is gone...." He slumped back in his chair and I finally got a good look at him. He looked older. His skin was pale and his eyes were red from crying. I could see that he had more white hair than usual and he was unkempt.

"I know how you feel. It's tough losing someone you love. I want you to know that you have me. You're surrounded by people who love you so you're not alone. Your wife is in a much better place now and I sure as hell know that she's up there looking after you. If there's anything you need, let me know and I'm more than happy to help." My uncle gave me a small smile as he took a shaky breath.

"Thank you so much for your comforting words," my uncle replied. I gently squeezed his hands.

Bridget coughed slightly and we all turned to look at her.

"Violet, it's best if you stay here with your uncle. He needs you," she said softly.

"But I thought we had to stay together?" I asked hesitantly.

"One of us can--"

"I'll stay with her," Harry volunteered, interrupting her. Bridget simply nodded.

"Niall and I won't be too far away. If you guys need anything, let us know. We'll head out to give you some space." Bridget and Niall retreated out the door.

I turned back to face my uncle. "Have you had anything to eat?"

"I had some bread and soup, thanks for asking. There are some leftovers in the kitchen if you want any. And who are you?" my uncle asked.

"Oh, me? I'm Harry," Harry awkwardly introduced himself.

"Oh, I thought you were Niall." Harry furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, probably wondering how on earth someone could mistake him as Niall. "Did you get another boyfriend that I should know of, Violet?"