19. Plan of Attack

It was finally time to lower my aunt into the ground. I thought I would run to the casket and beg them not to bury my aunt but I was surprisingly calm. Harry squeezed my hand in comfort and pulled me closer so that I could lay my head on his shoulder. Each person was handed a single white rose to drop on her coffin. Our row was the first to line up to pay our respects.

It wasn't until there were three people ahead of me that I began to panic. My legs were shaking and I could feel my heart rate pick up. Harry noticed my sudden change in behavior and quickly pulled me closer to him. He then whispered into my ear.

"Everything will be okay. Just take your time." His lips tickled my ear as he drew back and he gently pushed me forward. I didn't realize it was now my turn. I timidly walked up to the edge and looked down at the coffin which held my aunt's body. I longed to open up the coffin to see my aunt one last time, but I knew that if I did, I wouldn't be able to let go. I wouldn't be able to say goodbye.

My brain turned to molasses and I couldn't think straight. Couldn't think of what to say. All I could think about was how her body was in there. I have said my goodbyes to her twice so I don't know what else to say now. Right when I thought I was at a loss of words, a phrase in the back of my head keeps repeating and eventually makes its way to my lips.

"I will avenge your death," I whispered. Harry's head turned sharply to look at me and I know he heard what I said. He eyed me carefully and I couldn't read his expression. He probably thinks I'm reckless for thinking such a thing or maybe he's scared that I might actually try something.

I dropped my rose into the hole but it didn't fall into the pile with the other roses. I knelt down to try to retrieve my rose but Harry grabbed my arm to stop me.

"Just leave it," he said.

.

.

The funeral was almost over which meant it was time to approach Liam. I was so nervous. I didn't want trouble at my aunt's funeral but I had to know why he came. How will he react when he finds out he's surrounded? Will he put up a fight and risk revealing himself to the public?

We decided it was best to split up and surround him when he tries to leave. That way, there's no way he can escape. I could hear my uncle on the microphone thanking everyone for coming and then the crowd was dismissed. For a brief moment, I lost sight of Liam as everyone got up to leave. As the crowd started to thin, I let out a sigh of relief when I saw Liam still sitting. I could see the others slowly inching towards Liam and I did the same. I know Liam knows he's surrounded by why isn't he putting up a fight? Why isn't he running?

We were close to him but he didn't let that bother him. Instead, he stared straight ahead at where my aunt was laid to rest. I got a better look at his face and was shocked to see how much older he looked. He looked like he just gave up. His eyes were a dull brown and there were distinct bags under his eyes. His face was unshaven and his hair a tousled mess.

"Why are you here?" I asked weakly.

Liam let out a breath before speaking. "I've made a mistake but I can't take back what I've done."

"You killed her, didn't you?" My voice was low and shook with anger as I spoke.

"I didn't kill her but I gave Zayn the idea in the first place." I quickly climbed over the folded chairs and grabbed his collar, roughly pulling him towards me.

"How dare you," I snarled. "You'll pay for this." Bridget quickly pulled my hands off of Liam and put a hand on my shoulder to push me back.

"Calm down, Violet. Let's hear his story before deciding what to do," Bridget said calmly. I clenched my fists in anger but refrained from choking Liam to death. My hands were getting warm and I'm sure my face is bright red from anger but I don't care.

"I've had a change of heart," Liam choked out. I could see he was trying so hard to not cry but he did anyway. "I regret what I've done. I shouldn't have suggested killing her aunt. I--I didn't realize her family died in a fire and that she had no one. If I could turn back the time, I would." He gulped loudly and wiped his tears before continuing. "The guilt--it's eating me alive. I thought I wasn't capable of feeling remorse like Zayn but I'm not like him. I have a heart and I have feelings. I don't like what Zayn's doing. It's not right. That's why I left and came here. I knew I'd find you guys here. I know information about Zayn's plan and I want you guys to know it so we can stop more innocent lives from being lost."

"How do we know you're not lying to us?" Niall asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Let me tell you what his plan is and you can decide from there whether you trust me or not. To be honest, I don't care if you don't trust me. I don't deserve your trust. But I want you to know his plan for tomorrow so you can save this person's life! He doesn't know that I've betrayed him yet. Well he knows I'm going to the funeral but he doesn't know that I'm not coming back."

"What's happening tomorrow?" Niall prodded.

"He's planning to kill Dr. Hopkins. Please--she has a family! You have to help me stop him!"

"Is she one of the scientists who worked on us?" Bridget asked in a hushed voice. Liam just nodded. "How is he planning to kill her?"

"He will kill her tomorrow after she gets off work. She walks home from work everyday and always takes a shortcut through an alley that is devoid of people. It's in the alley where he plans to kill her. First, he wants information from her and then he'll kill her who-knows-how." I shuddered thinking of the tree branches that cut into my skin. Those same branches wrapped around Niall's cousin's neck and probably my aunt's neck as well.

"Is it still Zayn and Louis?" Harry asked.

"Yes but they found two more people: Drew and Stephanie. Drew is merciless. He joined a street gang a year ago and likes to fight people. He loves violence. Stephanie on the other hand is very easy to manipulate. She believes everything she's told. Zayn has managed to bring her to his side."

"What about you? Who's side are you on?" I couldn't help but ask Liam the question.

"I'm on your side. I don't want bloodshed. I want peace. I want to live a normal life but I also want to know the government isn't constantly watching me. I want the government to know that I mean no trouble."

"Don't we all?" Bridget whispered. "Liam, you need to tell us everything you know. Tell us Zayn's plan for tomorrow and give us any information that will give us an advantage. I don't like that two more people have joined Zayn. What are their powers? Have they mastered their powers? Will they truly resort to violence if necessary?"

"Drew has the power to manipulate fire and Stephanie, earth." My ears perked up at the word 'fire.' If Liam said he was merciless, I don't even want to know what he uses fire to achieve. "Drew is skilled and will kill if necessary. Stephanie has mastered some of her powers but she's not a strong fighter. I think you can persuade her not to fight. You guys already know how Zayn is. Louis controls the element water and he's pretty good at it. He'll resort to violence if necessary as well."

"What's your power?" I asked.

"I control water as well," Liam answers, smiling. "I guess water is a popular one."

"So the advantage we have is ice and the ability to manipulate the weather," Niall exclaims. "And the advantage they have is earth."

"But that doesn't mean anything. It all depends on the skill level of the person and the situation," Harry says. "The advantage we have is the element of surprise. Zayn won't know what's happening until it's too late."

"Yes, so let's take advantage of that and make a plan," Bridget instructs.

We all huddle and throw in ideas. It's surprisingly easy coming up with a plan. We all seem to agree on the same thing. We refuse to use our powers to kill but we'll do everything in our power to contain them until law enforcement comes to take care of the rest. Even though there's a possibility that Liam isn't trustworthy--that he could be lying to us, I trust him. I really do and I hope I don't regret it.