•2•

A burst of air slips over my skin as my mom rushes into the back, obviously in a rush. Furrowing my eyebrows, I glance over to where I remember her standing.

The man she was talking to earlier was sitting there, already looking at me. He seemed...lost in thought. His green eyes reflected my light blue eyes. Shaking my head, I continued tending to the guests. I was now alone behind the bar as the rush continued. Huffing in annoyance, I served a customer as I glanced back at the door my mom had just disappeared through.

•••

"Have a good night!" I called behind the last customers as they left. Bradshaw must have slipped past me earlier because I didn't notice him leave, but he was now no where to be found. I remember he cashed out, but he hung out for a bit after that.

My mom sighs beside me as she cashed out the drawer at the counter. The rest of our staff had already left, so it was just us.

A comfortable silence envelops the room as I clean up and she cashes us out for our tips.

"You got a tip for like 20 bucks for three Coors Lights." She chuckled, earning my attention. The familiar pair of brown eyes flash through my mind as I recalled the man who ordered three Coors Lights throughout the night.

Bradshaw. Was this his first or last name? Throughout the night I heard people call him Rooster, and he hung out with the Navy aviators so he must be in the Navy.

"Seriously?" I blush, basically skipping over to sit with her. "Seriously." She replies, handing me my credit card tips. Now that it was just us, I figured it was time to ask her about the hushed whispers I witnessed earlier today.

"Are you okay? Ever since that guy came in who got the bell rung you've been stressed." I questioned, watching her stand up to return the cash drawer to its correct spot.

"Just an old friend. Um, I have to run out for some late errands. You good here?" She asks, avoiding my eyes. She always did this when she was lying.

Brushing it off, I straightened my posture when I realized I hadn't responded. "Yeah. I just have to sweep and then I'm basically done." I nod, watching her approach me. Her swift strides made me feel like she was in a rush to leave.

"Thank you. Let me know when you get back to your house." She replies, pulling me into a quick hug. My heart sinks as she hurries to collect her things. Closing down the bar had always been my favorite thing to do with her, and now she's just brushing me off.

"Sure. I'll see you tomorrow." I roll my eyes as she makes her way towards the exit.

"I'm keeping it open since I don't have the spare key with me to lock up. Make sure no one sneaks in here before you leave." She motions to the door, locking it up before propping it open. I didn't have any other key to lock up, and since this is an old place the door is a bit old fashioned. The other doors were already locked, so I didn't have to worry about them.

"Mhm." I absentmindedly nod before spinning around in the barstool to look out over the dark beach. Few people were still out, admiring the ocean view.

My mom's car starts up outside, irritating me even more. Sure, we didn't have a lot to do left to wrap up, but she could have at least helped me restock. What could she be doing this late?

Ducking into the back, I hummed along to a tune playing in my head as I gathered the various boxes of alcohol into one section. Grabbing two boxes, I made my way back into the main room.

Just as I pushed past the door, I noticed the door shutting. I hurriedly set down the boxes before rushing over to stop the door.

"No, no, no!" I blurt, reaching out for the door.