•16•

Before we start, I'd like to mention that this chapter has to deal with Sexual Harassment. It's light and nothing truly happens, but it is worth mentioning and it does have an effect in future chapters. I will give warnings before each chapter if I feel the need to. If you believe you cannot handle this, please scroll away. Stay safe!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A short groan leaves my lips as I set my bag down underneath the bar counter. I really didn't want to be here, but these bills have to be paid and I wasn't about to quit over some stupid argument.

"Ooh! How was last night?" Victoria, my coworker, speaks up as I clocked in.

"Fun. The best night I've had in awhile." I smiled, the same giddy feeling I had last night resurfacing.

Bradley didn't spend the night but we did text all night about everything. He made sure I was feeling okay after what happened in my family. I couldn't ask for a better boyfriend. Besides, I had made several new friends who I also texted throughout the night.

"That's good! I'm happy for you." She beams, continuing her work. "Thank you, I appreciate it." I smile, noticing my mom exiting the back area. We made eye contact, and she immediately beelines towards me.

"Can we talk? Please?" She asks. As much as I didn't want to, I needed to get over this. I can't stay mad at them forever.

Nodding, I began following her outside. The bar was empty, so I wasn't too worried.

The two of us sit down at the picnic table, the cold breeze skimming over my skin.

"Um, how are you and Bradley?" She breaks the tension. A small smile etched onto my face as I looked down at my hands. "We're official." I gently smile, looking back up at her.

"I'm glad he makes you happy. I can see how happy you are around him. That's why I had Mav invite him despite the circumstances." She agrees, leaning against the table. Oh, that makes sense why he was there now. Not that I was mad he was there, just confused.

Nodding, I waited for her to continue.

"I'm sorry we didn't tell you before. We weren't sure how you were going to react, but he is trying." She sighs.

"Now he wants to try?" I deadpan, pushing down my anger.

"When I found out I was pregnant with you, he had just lost his father. He was scared, lost. We've talked about this, and he feels terrible. His dad died and he spiraled, so he just kinda focused on being a aviator. This doesn't excuse the fact he left or that we hid it from you, but you deserve to know." She explains with a soft tone.

"Why did Amelia meet him before me? When?" I question.

"It was when we visited my dad. Pete was back in town on leave and we happened to run into him. It wasn't on purpose."

"Did he know about me then? Did you show him pictures or anything?" I ask, my heart breaking more and more. It truly hurt my sister met my father before I did.

"I did, yes. He wanted to meet you, but he didn't think you wanted to see him." She softly says. Nodding, I turned my attention to the ocean. It was beautiful at this time of day.

"I can't promise I'll accept him at first." I state, watching surfers surf the waves.

"You don't have to. Move at your own pace." She replies. Taking a deep breath, I stood up.

"I should get back to work. But um," I pause, looking down at her lightened phone. Maverick was calling.

She furrows her eyebrows as she picks up her phone, clicking the answer button.

Her eyes soften as she listens to him speak. I could hear him rambling over the phone, panicked almost.

"Oh, Pete. I'm so sorry." She turns her back as she gets up off the seat, pacing on the porch. "I'll see you inside." I tell her, noticing some customers entering. She nods as I make my way inside.

•••

About 20 minutes later she returns, a solemn look on her face. "What's going on?" I question, handing a beer off to a customer. She gingerly takes my elbow, leading me away from prying eyes.

"Iceman passed. Maverick and him were really close." She explains, her eyes watering. Oh god, I can't even fathom losing my best friends.

"Oh, no. Is he okay?" That was a stupid question. Of course he wasn't, he just lost his best friend. My heart breaks for him. "Not really. He's ending training early today so expect a call from Rooster. Iceman was Admiral."

As if on cue, my phone begins ringing. Fishing it out of my pocket as my mom passes me to return to the bar, I click the answer button.

"Hi, B. I heard what happened. Are you okay?" I soften my voice, dipping into the back room where it was less busy.

"Somewhat. I wasn't close with him like Maverick was but he was still an admiral." He sighs, I can hear his car door shut in the back.

"I'm sorry. Let me know if you need anything, okay?" I suggest, politely smiling at the cooks. "I will. I'm probably just going to head back to my apartment and get some rest. Call me if you need anything." He states, his voice growing sleepier and sleepier.

"Drive safe, please. Text me when you get home safe." I begin to wrap up the call. "Will do, see you later, sweetheart." He pipes up. "Bye, Bradley." I smile, leaning against the wall.

"Bye, Rae." He says before ending the call. Tucking my phone back in my pocket, I made my way back to the bar.

"That's a nice ass." Someone says behind me as I pass. Scoffing, I turned around to meet them. It was a couple of guys I didn't recognize, so they must be tourists. Perfect, they don't know the rules here.

"Excuse me?" I cross my arms, immediately unfolding them when his eyes flicker down to my chest. "Just stating that you have a nice ass, and a perfect-."

"Yeah, that's enough. I'm not an object you can gawk over." I roll my eyes, making sure to walk backwards behind the bar.

"I'm ringing the bell on those guys." I pass Victoria and Donté, who were working the bar. "Which ones?" Donté asks.

"Dickheads wearing the backwards cap staring right over here." I motion to them before reaching up and ringing the bell. The crowd goes wild as a look of confusion washes over all of their face.

Noticing where I was looking, my mom speaks up.

"Around here, we have a rule that if you disrespect a woman or my staff, you pay for everyone's drinks." She glared, placing a hand on my shoulder. Horror washes over their face.

"I'll have a Budweiser on frat boys tab." A regular, Ben, nods over to them. Laughing, I reached down and pulled a ice cold beer out for them. "Enjoy." I beam, placing it on their bill.

When I look over, the one who initially said it gave me an ice cold glare. "Ooh, I just know Rooster is not going to be happy about this." Victoria loudly laughs as the guy approaches.

"Yo, what the fuck?" He scowls as he slouches against the bar counter.

"Maybe you should actually respect women instead of objectifying them." I shrug, turning away from him.

"Whatever, you're probably a slut anyways." I hear. Anger spreads throughout my body as I spin around on my heel.

Before I could say anything, Victoria and my mom step in. "Her boyfriend is literally in the Navy, I'd recommend you shut your mouth." Victoria chuckled.

Seeing red, I push myself between them. "I don't need Bradley's help. You're just a prick who throws a tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants." I send a harsh glare to the guy before cutting him off and continuing my job.

"Whatever." I hear him mutter before sulking off. He definitely had Daddy's credit card, so I wasn't worried about him not being able to pay.