•12•

Rooster

"Did Mav really just ditch us?" Payback laughs as he tosses the ball between us. When I follow his direction, we find Maverick sitting up on the porch with Penny and Rae. God, she looked gorgeous today. She always does, but the sunset was perfect for her, it made her glow.

"Rooster, I'm really sorry for telling her about the mission. I feel like I ruined you two." Phoenix joins the conversation. My heart sinks at her words. Her words poured salt into a fresh wound.

"No, you're fine. You had no idea she didn't know about it. It's my fault too, I should have told her." I let the tossing stop between us, looking up at the girl sitting on the porch.

Not too long after we continued the game, Maverick returned to the group. "Rooster, can I speak with you?" He earns my attention. Nodding, I searched my mind for anything he could be mad at me about. If this is about my father, I swear I'm going to lose my shit.

The two of us sit down on beach chairs, watching the group.

"Listen. I know we're not on the best terms but I wanted invite you to dinner at a friend of mines house. I'd go alone but they kind of requested you." He explains, cutting right to the chase. Typical Maverick, taking a short cut.

"Why me? Do I need to wear my uniform?" I question, ignoring his attempts to get me to look at him.

"No uniform needed. It's not work related." He replies, furthering my confusion. What could this be about if it's not work related? That was the only thing we truly shared, other than my family.

"If this is about dad-."

"It's not." He cuts me off. Shrugging, I stood up. "Fine. Tell me the details and I'll be there." I agree, already tired of the conversation. He nods, so I take that as my cue to rejoin the team.

•••

Plugging my phone in, I feel my phone buzz. My heart swells at the thought of Rae texting me, but it was just Fanboy sending me a game of pool through messages. Shutting my phone off, I collected my things for a shower.

Stepping into the shower, the warm water cascades over my shoulders. It was enough to relax my muscles after a long week.

Was I in the wrong to not tell her about the mission? All I wanted was for her to not have to deal with that side of me. She was the only one who really saw the real me, not the side of me who hated the fact that I was around the last things my father saw everyday. But being an aviator in the navy was my passion, it was my favorite thing in the entire world, besides her.

Tears welled in my eyes as I washed my hair. I screwed it all up. She was the best thing that happened to me since I got accepted to Top Gun, and I destroyed it because of my ego. This could have all been avoided if I just told her how I felt instead of beating around the bush. I made her feel like she was being strung along as a distraction.

After a short shower, I wrapped a towel around my waist before stepping out of the shower. It was getting late, and I still had to work in the morning, but she was all I wanted.

Taking a breath, I gathered my thoughts. She didn't want to talk to me, and I shouldn't force her.

Instead, I reverted back to my past. Getting dressed, I got ready for bed.

As soon as my head hit the pillow, my mind raced ten times faster.

"Talk to me, dad." I paused, looking over at the photo of us on my nightstand. It was one of my favorite pictures of us, although it was our last.

"I don't know what to do, I ruined everything between us." I sigh, examining his features. We looked so similar, that's the worst part of looking in the mirror.

•••

I must have fallen asleep, because I woke up to a pitch black room.

"Bradley." A familiar voice jolts me. Reaching for my gun, I turned on the light on my nightstand until I recognized the voice.

"Dad?"

I had to be dreaming. He was dead.

"Don't let her go. You need her."

I finally see him standing by my closet door, my teary eyes settled on him. He looked exactly how I remembered him. "This can't be real, I have to be dreaming." I rubbed my eyes, but to no avail.

"Listen to me, Bradley. I'm always watching over you, me and mama. We're so proud of who you've become." He sits down beside me on the bed.

"Is she here?" A tear drops from my eye as I look around the room. "No, but listen to me. Maverick is trying his best, he has always done what's best for you. It was not his fault. I'm at peace, I am not angry at him, and you shouldn't be either." He explains. My shoulders relax as he speaks.

"I know, but I just miss you. It's been hard without you." I sigh, freely letting the tears fall.

"I know, B. But I'm always with you. We're so proud of who you've become, as I'm sure you'll make peace with Rae." He smiles.

Nodding, I slip back down into my mattress. "I love you." I sigh, feeling him tuck me into the blankets like he used to do when I was little.

"I love you too, B. Tell Mav I'm still a good photographer." He sends me a playful smile. A laugh leaves my lips before realization hits me.

"Will I see you again?" I ask, fighting sleep.

"I'm always with you, Buddy. Always and forever." He smiles, disappearing before my eyes.