•4•

Rae

Outside Rooster's truck sparked to life. "I'm going to head out. I'm in desperate need of a shower." I laugh, grabbing my bag from underneath the bar.

"Can I ride back with you?" Amelia asks, standing up from the bar with her books in hand. "Yeah, for sure." I nod, motioning for her to follow me.

"Drive safe!" My mom calls as the two of us walk out to find Rooster still in the parking lot. "We will!" Amelia calls as the door shuts behind us.

He seemed to be fixated on something in his car, so I decided to leave him alone for now.

Climbing into my convertible bug, I made sure my phone was connected to the Bluetooth before playing Metallica. From Whom the Bell Tolls begins playing as I started my car.

"We're stopping for food. I'm absolutely starving." I groaned, making sure Rooster wasn't backing up before pulling out of my parking spot.

"Who was that? Was that your boyfriend?" Amelia teases as we drove away from the bar, the wind breezing through our hair.

"No, just a friend." I glance back in my rear view mirror to see him finally pulling out of his parking spot.

"Mhm, sure." She nudges my arm as I drove. "Shut it." I laugh, my stomach growling as we approached several fast food places. Glancing behind me, I see Rooster going the opposite direction. A small blush slips into my cheeks as I recall the almost kiss. There was something about him that just made me feel safe around him.

•••

Collapsing onto my bed, I stared up at the ceiling. If it wasn't for my mom barging in, maybe I'd still be hanging out with him.

This is going to sound insane, but somehow I could still feel his lingering touches. The way he was so careful to give me my space last night, just to make sure I was comfortable.

I was still somewhat embarrassed I slept on him, but he didn't seem to mind.

A familiar vibration beside my head brought me out of my thoughts. Glancing over, my phone was laying face down.

It was an unfamiliar number texting me.

Hey, it's Rooster

My heart flutters as his face flashes in my mind. I knew I shouldn't be getting attached, but it was so hard not to. He was caring, respectful, and attractive. Maybe it was too good to be true.

Hey!

An exclamation mark? Really? Mumbling to myself, I sat up on my bed. The bubble appears on my screen as I tried to figure out what to say next.

You listen to Metallica?

A small smile etched onto my face as we continued texting, talking throughout the night.