•19•

Collecting my things for work, I noticed a familiar pair of sunglasses sitting in a cup holder. A soft smile forms on my lips as I pick them up, opening them. "You're coming with me." I smile, placing them on the bridge of my nose. In my defense, with all the windows in the bar the sun did get in my eyes a lot.

Pulling open the door, I'm greeted by my mom and Amelia. "Uh, hi." I greet, placing a fake smile on my face.

"Drop the fake smile. I thought you would have taken the day off?" Mom follows me behind the bar as Amelia climbs into a bar chair.

"I figured I'd keep myself busy to not think about how my boyfriend is probably going to get himself killed out there. Much less my father who I'm finally getting to know is also with him, just as reckless." I shrug, dropping the smile and placing my things inside the little cubby under the bar as I crouched down behind the bar. Tucking his keys into my pocket, I looked at Amelia over the glasses.

"What's with the sunglasses?" Amelia teases.

"They're Bradley's. It's too bright in here and plus my eyes are sensitive." I shrug, which wasn't a lie. My eyes were sensitive from all the crying I've done this morning. I could still feel Bradley's energy around me.

"I see you're driving his truck around. Cute." Amelia softly smiles, looking down at her books. "Hey, question. Sleepover tonight, our place?" My mom asks beside me.

"I actually planned on sleeping over at B's. It's comforting, I guess. But, dinner's a different story." I shrug his jacket off, placing it in the cubby before standing up completely.

"I'm sure they'll all pull through." My mom nods, moving to type some things into the system before we opened.

"You didn't see how nervous Bradley seemed. He stayed strong, but I could tell he's scared." I sighed, leaning against the bar. "I know, but the team is made up of the best of the best." Mom responds, sending me a glance. Sighing, I tossed my head back to get my hair to rest on my back.

"Anyways. Can we please do that chicken you do for dinner?" Amelia chimes in. "Which one?" Mom asks, finishing up at the computer. "Ooh! Is it the one that has like the mayo, Parmesan type thing?" I ask, earning a excited nod from Amelia.

"Oh my god, can we? You know I'm obsessed with that chicken." I beam, bouncing over to my mom and wrapping my arms around her shoulders. "Fine, fine! I'll make the chicken. Mashed potatoes sound good?"

"Diced." Amelia and I say in harmony. Laughing, I adjusted the sunglasses as my mom went to go turn the 'closed' sign to 'open.'

•••

Closing a customers tab, I hand them their card back as I hear a familiar beat coming from the jukebox.

"You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain!" Jerry Lee Lewis sings. Bradley's favorite song, just like his fathers.

Shaking my head, I look up to find Amelia by the jukebox. "Come on!" She motions me over. Glancing over at my mom, she urges me to go join my sister.

Closing the drawer, I made my way towards my sister.

"You broke my will, oh what a thrill!" I join the bar in singing as I reached my sister. The two of us sing along as we dance around each other. "Goodness gracious great balls of fire!" I laugh, tossing my hair back behind my shoulders. Despite the circumstances, I knew this was a sign he was okay, that they were okay.

Amelia giggles beside me as we danced wildly, the bar's customers laughing among us. We didn't care, we were too happy to care.

In the corner of my eye, I could see my mom filming us. It didn't matter.

As the song faded out, Amelia and I calmed down. "Thank you, Mills." I laugh, fixing my hair. She laughs as I go back to the bar area.

•••

Locking the door behind me, I stepped into Bradley's apartment. It was completely silent, much different than this morning. Everything was just as he left it.

Placing my purse and bag down on the kitchen island, I made my way over to the living room to set my Target bag down. I figured I'd make Rooster a little gift for when he got back, just to keep my mind off of things.

Pulling the Lego Set out of the bag, I set it down on the table as I sat down on the ground beside it, my legs resting underneath it. I had ultimately decided on a Jet Lego set for Bradley. Turning on some random show, I settled in before dumping out the first Lego bag along with the directions.

•••

It took me like two hours, but I got it done. Legos were my favorite past time/hobby, so it was fun to do. Glancing over at the time, I saw it was now only 1 am.

Placing the jet on its stand, I left it in the living room before making my way to his bathroom. During my little break from building, I had moved my bag into his room, being sure to keep my things in one area so I wouldn't disturb his things.

Unzipping my bag, I got my bath essentials out for a shower before stepping into his bathroom.

Quickly stripping down, I started the water. As I stepped into the hot shower, I allowed the heat to relax my body. I didn't realize how tense my body was until I relaxed a bit.

As I washed up, my mind started drifting off to thinking about how the missions going. Although I was irritated with him still, I didn't want to lose my chance with my father. I was just beginning to process him actually being in my life, and now that could be ripped away from me.

Were they okay? Were they safe?

Scrubbing my hair, my eyes land on Bradley's shampoo. I'm sure they were safe. They had to be, right?

I knew it was dumb to fall for Bradley so fast and move so fast in our relationship, but there was just something about him that made me fall so quickly. When he gets back, things will change. If we wanted this to work out, we have to go back to getting to know each other.

Rinsing my hair out, I let those thoughts wash away with the soap.

It didn't take long for me to dry off and return to his room after cleaning up after myself. I was sure to clean up my hair after putting my hair into double Dutch braids, just so I didn't leave messes around his apartment for him to come back to.

Sliding into the side of the bed I 'claimed' last night, I curled into his bedsheets. His scent immediately flooded my senses. My eyes land on his picture frame of his dad. They looked so similar it was a bit creepy sometimes.

Taking a deep breath, I rolled over to turn off the lamp on the nightstand. As soon as dark envelops the room, I curl myself into a ball underneath the covers.