•7•

My eyelids flutter open, revealing the credits rolling on the screen. "Hey, sleepyhead." Rooster's deep voice says beside me. Sniffing, I attempted to wipe the sleep from my eyes.

"What's with us always falling asleep together?" He jokes as I sit up slightly, just enough to grab my drink. "It just means we're comfortable around each other." I mumble, opening my soda and taking a sip.

Glancing over, a soft smile was evident on his face as he watched me. Around us, cars were beginning to pull away.

"I don't want this night to end, just yet." I swallow, tucking the blanket farther around me as I sat up fully, his arm dropping to my hips.

"Are you sure? I can take you home if you're tired?" He replies, moving so his hand was now resting on my back. "I'm sure, Roost." I laugh, beginning to pack up my things.

"My real name's Bradley." He responds, cleaning up his own space. "Is it alright if I call you Brad?" I asked, finishing up before standing up to stretch my legs in his truck bed. "Go for it." He laughs, climbing out of his truck.

"Come on, I'll help you out." Bradley beckons me over. Now that I think about it, Bradley suits him perfectly. It was a change, sure, but I'd get used to it.

Rubbing my eyes slightly, I walked over to him before crouching down. His large hands rest on my hips as my own sit on his broad shoulders. He easily picks me up and closes the truck bed in one swoop.

•••

Around 30 minutes later we were taking a walk down the beach. The moon was reflecting over the ocean, and the tide colliding with the shore was peaceful.

Our hands were gently intertwined, his thumb gently caressing my skin as we walked.

Stopping in front of the bar, we sat down in the sand to watch the tide. Dropping our hands, he wraps an arm around my shoulders.

"It's so pretty out here." I smile, watching the shore collide. "Mhm." I hear him reply. Glancing over, he's looking over at me. As I go to speak up, his hand resting on my back raises as pushes a strand of stray hair behind my ear. His hand then rests on my shoulder, his thumb on my cheek.

"What?" I hum, staring into his brown eyes. The moonlight shaped his facial features perfectly. "Nothing." He smiles, gently caressing my cheek.

My eyes lower to his lips briefly, and I can tell his did too in my peripheral vision. With his breath fanning over his face, I notice him slowly leaning in.

"Rae!" A cheery voice speaks up, which I realize to be my sisters. The two of us jump apart, startled.

Letting out a deep breath, I turn to the voice. "What do you want, Amelia?" I question, my eyes landing on her blonde hair approaching us from the bar's porch.

"What are you even doing at the bar?" I continue, standing up to meet her as she approached us.

"Natalie got sick. You didn't answer your phone so I had to call mom to get me, so I'm stuck here." She casually shrugged. "Obviously, I was busy, Amelia-." I start, irritated she interrupted my date.

"Do you need a ride home?" Bradley asks behind me. "That would be great, actually." She smiles, looking behind me. Crossing my arms, I watched him stand up.

"Go get your things." I sighed, turning my attention back to her. She happily makes her way back up the beach.

"That's your sister, right?" He asks. "Mhm, I'm sorry she ruined our date." I mumbled, looking up at him. "No worries. She didn't ruin it." He smiles, placing an arm around my waist and pulling me inside his side. The two of us slowly but surely walk up to the bar, standing just off to the side of the porch stairs.

A few moments later, she exits the bar with my mom in tow. "Rae! Rooster! Thank you for taking her home. I tried to call you but your phone was-."

"I had it on do not disturb because I was watching a movie, sorry." I reply, my sister standing beside me with her sleep over bag.

"Sleepover at my house?" I ask, playfully messing with her hair. She was so excited to be getting out of the house, so I knew I had to help her out.

"Sure!" She beams, glancing over at Rooster. "Thank you for driving them home, Rooster." My mom smiles, glancing back at the rowdy bar frequently.

"No worries, Ms Benjamin." He replies, his arm still tightly around my waist.

"Drive safe. Let me know when you get home." My mom says, stepping back into the bar but not leaving yet. "Will do. Love you!" Amelia and I both call out.

"Love you!" She calls, the screen door shutting behind her.

"Well, we're down this way." Rooster drops his arm, pointing towards the parking area not too far away.

"And it's Penny!" I hear my mom shout behind us. "Yes ma'am!" Rooster laughs back as we continued to walk. The three of us walk back silently, but comfortably.

Opening the passengers side door, Bradley adjusts the seat so Amelia could climb over. She looks over at me, motioning me to get in.

"Nuh-uh! You're sitting in the back." I cross my arms, staring at her. She knew exactly how to get on my nerves, and she loved to do it.

"You didn't call shotgun." She smirks. "And neither did you, nice try." I laughed, motioning for her to get in. Rooster laughs as she groans, but gets in. I could tell by her mischievous smirk she was just joking around.

As soon as she's in the back seat, Rooster sets up the front seat. "Do you regret asking her for a ride home?" I joked, climbing into the front seat. "No comment." He smirks, shutting the door behind me.

"He's cute."

"Don't even try it." I laugh, looking back at her.

"I meant for you! You two are cute together. Sorry for ruining your date, by the way." She laughs, hurrying when she's realizing he's about to open his door.

"Mhm." I nod, turning back to the dash.