ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ x- ꜱᴘᴇᴄɪꜰɪᴄʏ

I clenched my jaw. Definitely not liking this. But my face says otherwise, it vibrates cocky and unafraid. Something about this room felt odd, though... like a pair of eyes who I couldn't look back at were watching me... like a ghost. It was like they were set on me... unblinking.

"I don't take orders, " I said, glaring at the director.

"That's a shitty excuse. Sit down." He glared at me back.

"I can hear you just fine standing up,"

"Sit. Down. Don't act like you have anything better to do,"

"Like running away?" I said before catwalking to the empty seat at the opposite end of Fury's.

He sighed a long sigh. I lifted a corner of my mouth at him and propped my feet on the table , stretching my legs and intertwining my fingers.

"Let's play a game; we ask you a question and you answer, you ask us a question and we answer." Fury explained, "I'll start. How long were you at Hydra for?"

"Years." I simply said.

"Specifically how many?"

"It's my turn, pirate." I ignored his question. What? Did he really think I was going to play by his terms? "Why are you keeping me here for, when you could just let me go and stop worrying so much? Y'know... I read somewhere that you can grow white hair if you worry too much, especially at your age."

"As we already told you, we are keeping you here for your own safety." I scoffed when he told me. Someone stood up from their seat, whom I didn't bother to look at, "Clint,"

"Where are your parents?" Angry bird asked.

"Clint..." The Captain said, who was only a seat away from me.

"What? I'm curious," He said.

I turned my eyes to Fury, who looked like he wanted to face palm himself and mumbled something along the word "children", then turned my eyes back to Angry bird. "I would say in heaven, but, well, I'm an atheist sooo. Dead."

They all blinked at me, as if in sync, "Not a fan of sugar coating things are we?"

"Y'know, you might have one eye, but you see straight through me Mr Fuhrer, too bad you don't have the other eye, you would've had x-ray vision." The Captain raised his eyebrows as Sam bit his lip to restrain his laugh.

"Your turn." Fury said, almost impatiently.

"What is the purpose of you asking me all these questions when you know I'll find a way out anyway?"

This time the Black Widow stood up before Fury could even open his mouth, "To see if we can trust you. What kind of information did you find when you realized Hydra was evil?" She said almost nonchalantly.

"The kind of information which informs you that you need to run away."

"Be more spe-"

"Oh goody, my turn again! Why is the Barnes guy staring at me from the corner of the room?" They all froze, as if unbelieving what they've heard, I turned to the corner on my left, more than positive the ghost's eyes are looking at me back, "I mean like honestly dude- I get it that you're antisocial and all but like, you're giving me stalker vibes and I don't like it-"

"How did you know he's there?" Snapped Fury, while also so rudely interrupting me.

"Hey! What about my question?" I snapped back.

"How did you know his name?"He persisted as he stood from his seat and pointed at the cornered ghost and me.

"The phone calls are on full volume, how do you expect me not to listen to your super-secret convo? And plus- I could feel his eyes on me as soon as I stepped out of that elevator! "

The room fell silent. 

The director retrieved his finger, gulped and took a breath, "Come out, Barnes."

"Director..." Stood up the doctor, "What about what we planned?"

"Why don't we just cut to the chase? This may answer some of your questions anyway."

"That's not what I'm worried about-"

"It's what I'm worrying about." He took a second to glare at the doctor as Banner sat back down, took out a pencil and a notebook and stood up straighter, as if preparing himself for what's to come. "Out you come, Barnes."

What I couldn't understand from this whole situation, is why everyone was so tense. What could possibly-

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by light footsteps, and as I turned around, out of the dark came out a man... a muscular man. Chiselled jaw, short stubble, a neat haircut and a slick blue uniform. A glint of metal reflected from his left arm. Huh, surely he didn't have a metal arm?... y'know who that reminds me of? At once my eyes snap to his. Those familiar blue frosty eyes looking straight back at me. No... It couldn't possibly be...

"Winter...?"

Gasps of air left my lungs and a cold shiver took over my body.

"No..."

I can't believe this was all a set up...

"Please..." tears of despiration filled my eyes.

I was lead right into the shark's mouth... once again... I should've seen this coming...

"Y/n?" The Captain's voice said.

How could I be so utterly and unbelievably stupid?

•❅───✧❅✦❅✧───❅•