Chapter 10: The Sky Guard

Chapter Ten: The Sky Guard

Anne

The sun had risen, but only just so. Warm dawn pinks laced the low-lying sliver clouds. Sunlight glinted off the windows of the Adders' Royal Palace, illuminating stained glass like multihued gemstones. Long shadows stretched along the courtyard's colorful mosaic tiles. A soft breeze whispered against her ears, still carrying winter's chill despite the honeyed scent of blossoms. Mourning doves cooed softly from budding fruit trees that lined the brick buildings surrounding them.

Princess Adele, Princess Sarena, the King of Adders and a mass of Adderian Royal Guards all waited with her. The King's guards were dressed in their finest. The steel of their spears and their black leather boots gleamed. All their brass buttons and hair clips were freshly polished. Not a hair or thread out of place. They stood tall and still as if carved from stone – perfectly exemplifying the excellence expected from Adders' most premier force whose sole duty was to protect the King and his family.

Anne kept running her hand over the crystalized flower which Princess Adele had personally braided into her hair, checking to make sure it was secure.

"The Sky Guard!" Princess Sarena exclaimed and pointed towards the east. Anne squinted, holding her hand over her eyes to block out some of the sun's sharp rays. Dark specks bobbed in the sky against a backdrop of clouds glimmering with a vermeil of golden light. An Adderian horn sounded three times and they received a sharp trill from the Sky Guard. It was still hard to make out their features, but not all the uniforms were sky blue. There were some in grey and silver.

"Adele," Anne whispered, leaning close. "The emperor has sent the Atrezin Silver. I'd not thought my father to go so far. I've a valid concern for –"

"He's been sent a warning," Adele whispered back.

At the very center of the procession was her personal skycarriage – Aria enchanted to be weightless. It was painted in robin's egg blue with white and gold trim. The mark of the princessa was emblazoned upon the door – a golden doe surrounded by a wreath of flowering aretruschia branches.

Skyguards on the fringes of the procession had wing enchants. While those at the center had flight enchants and hovered in the air, heedless of gravity. A skyguard at the center of the unit pulled away, ducking under the others, and straining his flight enchant to the limit.

Aiden.

He was the first to touchdown, stumbling as he met the ground running. Anne stepped forward, hand over her heart. "Anne!" Aiden shouted, then slowed his pace. "Princessa Cezanne," he corrected himself loudly as he strode towards her. His arms swung back and forth at his sides as he restrained himself from running to take her into his arms. His blonde hair was disheveled – either from flight or from his own worrying fingers. The other skyguards began landing with much less intensity than their commander. He must have been so panicked when she hadn't returned from the yearly Blessing.

Anne stepped forward and turned to face Adders' royalty and their guards. "May I present, Knight Commander of the Sky Guard, Sir Aiden Brena of Gardeia."

He came to a stop at her side and stood at attention. "Princessa Cezanne," he said, having regained full control of himself now that he'd heard her speak. "The Sky Guard have arrived at the bequest of Emperor Gaius to provide you aid and return you safely home." He addressed her first, then bowed shortly to the King of Adders. "Emperor Gaius sends his gratitude for the kindness you have shown our princessa. It shall not be forgotten."

Aiden moved his hand subtly, as if it was just swaying, and brushed his knuckles against the back of her hand.

King Darin gave a short nod. "We are glad to have been of some assistance to Princessa Cezanne. She is dear to everyone's hearts. Praise the Life Aria, for it must have been watching over her that night."